>>>>

Friday, June 01, 2012

A New Foot for Sophia!

I mentioned that I picked up Sophia from the fix-it man yesterday ---and I waited until I had time to sew today to unpack her ---which meant putting Joe Cool back on the shelf for a while. I hope he doesn’t feel jilted!

No offense, Joe! You are a handsome devil, but I needed to see if the high shank adapter foot I ordered off of Ebay and the 1/4” snap-on patchwork foot would do the job that I hoped for Sophia!

It’s amazing what you can find on Ebay ---THIS is the adapter “ankle” I purchased. I held my breath that it would work. I was in Illinois/Ohio when it arrived, so it was waiting for me when I got home -- -but alas! No Sophia! She was still in the shop.

I also have a walking foot on order for her ---None of the walking feet I had are long shank ones.

I had bought THIS 1/4” foot at MQX in Providence, Rhode Island:

vintage machines 061

Yes, I do my shopping all over! I had hoped this foot would work better on my Janome ---but hadn’t tried it yet. NOW --- the Janome is at the fix-it shop as well! May as well try it on Sophia!

vintage machines 063

The ankle fits perfectly, and the foot snaps on! All seems good so far ----only one more thing to test. The 1/4” is measured supposedly along the NARROW right side of the foot. But I’ve come across many a foot that are NOT 1/4” even though they say they are. Will it pass the benchmark test?

vintage machines 064

YES! I put my seam guide right under the needle, and with the presser foot down, the edge of the narrower part of the foot is right at the edge of my guide! Only thing to do now is a test run!

vintage machines 066_edited-1

I stuck down the Scotch mounting strip right next to the guide before removing it..and ran a test seam – I’m happy to say that this foot IS worth the $19.00 I paid for it, and if it works this great on Sophia, I’ll be picking up another for the Janome 6500 --- I really LIKE having my needle center at all times and don’t like to have my needle over to the right to get a 1/4” seam which is what I was having to do with the foot that came with the Janome.

Don’t even start asking me about those feet with the black 1/4” guide..hate them! They don’t extend far front enough of the foot to really give you a good guide, you can't see the edge of your fabric and I don’t find them all that accurate --- But this --- I can do!

I’m loving sewing, cutting out and kitting up – and getting things ready for traveling to Ohio on the 10th. Everything will be cut and ready and in ziplock baggies --- for sewing on the go!

16 comments:

  1. I use one of those ankle things to convert my high shank Bernina adapter to a snap on foot. You're right, it's da' bomb. I also see that you have a doily under your thread spool. I saw one of those on a recent class picture. Was that your inspiration? Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - your machines are like family aren't they? You buy them treats and talk to them (and about them) so nicely!! Oh yes, and I bet you have one of those brag books, too, with all the photos...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My machine is one of those that you set the 1/4 seam which is great unless you forget to reset it after turnign the machine off. I can't tell you how many seams I've had to rip out, almost as many as sewing a long seam only to find your bobbin is out of thread. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a clear 1/4 inch foot for my White machine and love it. It is so nice to see exactly where your material is at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail Tucker5:20 PM EDT

    I have two Brothers - 1300 and 1500 (both are straight sew only). I found that the Janome High shank feet fit really well. I have two of the 1/4 " feet with the black thing on the side - actually one has the side and I popped the side off the other one. I find accurate piecing depends as much on who and how the strips were cut as much as the foot.

    Lately we have used the June Taylor cutting rulers for 2 1/2" strips and 2" strips. I have to use a pretty scant 1/4" on those strips.

    Strips that I cut using Creative grid rulers (and Omnigrip) are a few threads wider and a regualr 1/4" works well.

    If I put aside a project for a while, I always note what foot I have been using If I need to cut more strips, I note down which ruler was used to cut them.

    Gail Tucker
    Victoria, BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I may have to try this on my Janome 4800QC, since the foot on it isn't a true 1/4". Have fun cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the "Little Big Foot" for my Featherweight 221. It sure saved my hide years ago when I was struggling to achieve that elusive 1/4 inch! That same foot fits my Janome and both of my Kenmores!I haven't tried it on my Elna because I LOVE the old foot that came with the machine. It gives ne a perfect 1/4 inch every time! By the way, the foot you showed is the same as the "Little Big Foot". Do you ever use that beautiful Featherweight that followed you home a few years back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have marked my Janome walking foot (the one the 6500 comes with) so that I know where to line up for the 1/4" seam allowance. I have also bought the walking foot that has the guide but I hate it ... having to re-align the needle each time I use it is a pain.
    I bought the clear 1/4" foot a while ago too ... sooo much better than the original metal one!!
    By the way .... Joe Cool is a gawjus looking machine ;o)!!!
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, I bought that foot last summer and I love it too. None of the others I have tried have been accurate. They got it right this time.

    Love all your vintage machines, have to sit on my hands sometimes not to purchase another machine. Your machines are lovely!

    Vanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just HAD to buy one because I, too, hate those guides. Then I misplaced it so bought another. Then the first one surfaced but it fits my Elna so I have true 1/4" feet on both machines. Love the Janome 6600 even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you'd love that Janome clear foot. It's great. One word of warning: don't drop it on the carpet because it's almost impossible to find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to try that foot for my Janome 6600. It's well worth the price if it works! Love my machine, but don't like adjusting the needle position every time I turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, that is the adapter i was telling you about, glad you could find one

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, I was doing a quick check of me email and saw this about Sophie and was thinking "oh, poor kitty, I wonder what happened" then I remembered you like to name your sewing machines. Definately got a chuckle out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I purchased the 1/4" w/flange feet for both my Featherweight and my 301 but had my DH remove the flange on both feet. Now, the perfect 1/4" is when I run the fabric right down the right side of the foot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to have to get that foot!! I think those black guide things are ok for a while then they get bent away a bit and are no longer 1/4". Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)