>>>>

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Blue Heaven in Fairborn ---

Yes, the class that had no display sample because I left it at home!

I am augmenting a new rule for myself. Before quilts are folded and placed into bags or unpacked at home and put away --- fold everything RIGHT SIDE OUT!

I know exactly what happened….I know the My Blue Heaven quilt had a tan/plaid backing on it. How similar is it to “other” quilts with “other” tan/plaid backings?

There was a fabric sale and I bought YARDS of woven plaids and homespuns to be used as backings for scrappy quilts…..and it is so easy to think that one quilt is another when you just see a “familiar” backing for a blue/neutral quilt.

But I’m not beating myself up over it anymore! I had some great students who had sewn test blocks, and between the blocks and the patterns everyone had – we were good to go. The only thing I really miss was the reaction of students getting up close and personal with the quilt and the actual fabrics in it, and hearing them say things like:

“I remember that one!”

“Oh, I had this one in green and red too!”

“You actually put THIS IN THERE?!?”

“I never would have used that as a neutral next to this one”

“Oh this piece, brings back so many memories for me!”

“How come I never saw THIS fabric before when I swear I’ve seen them all!?

Along with our Nebraska Contingency, we had a couple early risers who left the house before 6:30 am, in INDIANA --- to drive all the way over to take today’s workshop. I knew I knew their faces…I just couldn’t place them from where!

The photo at the top of this post ---me crawling around on top of the hexagon medallion and pointing out various fabrics and where they came from, how long I’d had them --- came from the Indiana Contingency! Thanks for sending this very glamorous (HA!) photo!

They came to my visit in Davenport/Moiline a couple months ago! I recognized the smiles, but thought it was because they were in Columbus, a couple weeks ago --- I’m pretty good with smiles and faces and familiarity, but you take them out of the surroundings where I saw them last, and I could have just as easily ran into them at the grocery store last week in NC ----Gosh I am so brain dead, but as we talked and visited, the stories they told me in Moline on how they got their first group together to go on retreat, and the fun they had all came flooding back, and they found their place in my muddled memory, and we made some NEW memories – all 29 of us thrown into class together!

So let me present to you ---without benefit of a class sample quilt – just what everyone dug into in yesterdays My Blue Heaven workshop!

The lecture last night was great--- without an empty chair to be found, and standing room only. It was fun presenting several of the new quilts from String Fling and getting people all excited about looking at their humblest of scraps in new ways with a new light shining on them. You could see the ideas flowing!

A highlight for me was meeting Amy, who has been instrumental as a block tester for Quiltmaker Magazine ---and we got our picture together --

me_amy1

I also had the priviledge of meeting Cathy Young, of Young’s Jersey Dairy! Who know that she was a Quilter! I had ice cream at her place on Monday eve --- she came to see the quilts on Tuesday – is that kismet, or what? She was thrilled about yesterday’s blog post – and agrees on the yumminess of the smores flavor!

Today is “Cathedral Stars” and YES I HAVE THAT QUILT! ((Oh, I’ll beat myself up about leaving the class quilt at home for a long long time I have a feeling ---))

Today is my last day in Fairborn --- Thursday --- I'’ve got a road trip to Ashtabula!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 AM EDT

    Love the Hexie and Bonnie Photo. You are so brave, crawling around like that lolol. Bonnie, it really is a gorgeous quilt top.

    The group photos are terrific too. Would enjoy seeing the Cheddar and Plaid one when it is finished.

    HEY!!! I have noticed there are 'other' Bonnie-ites around these parts lolol --- Plaid thrift shop shirts go like a house afire. Good recycling!

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play organ in church, and when I make a mistake and hit a wrong note, I feel bad. Really bad. Yesterday I played for a funeral and felt just AWFUL when I made a couple big clinkers during a two of the hymns. Afterward, people told me they didn't hear any mistakes, they were enjoying singing so much that they didn't notice.

    I have a feeling that if I had been in your class yesterday, I would not have felt disappointed at all! I think it would be such an enjoyable thing to learn from you in person that not being able to see that quilt in person wouldn't matter one bit. So get over it already and stop beating yourself up over this! (c8

    It amazes me how much you teach and give away for free on your blog and your website. Just this morning alone I've found two patterns that I want to make from your free patterns page. Just two... added to the dozens I've seen over the past few weeks. But FIRST I'm headed to the thrift store for extra extra large men's plaid cotton shirts! Oh my goodness I love the books you've done on shirttails! One of my sons lives in plaid shirts, year round, so this is perfect. I'm using some of the ones he's outgrown in his quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! Did I see some dots on that cheddar? Love it! Say "Hi" to the gals from Indiana for me. I remember them from Moline, too! Have a quilty fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Blue Heaven mixup....I did something similar with two donation quilts. I had taken one to the hospital (silent auction). When it came to taking the other to brunch (AAUW raffle), I could.not. find.it.anywhere. THEN I realized I had taken the AAUW quilt to the hospital auction. I rushed to the hosp. volunteer office only to learn that all the auction items had been loaded onto a truck that was, that day, en route to the banquet hall (20 miles away). Because the quilt was among the first items to be donated it was at the front of the truck. Brunch was a.m. Auction was that night. I left the AAUW brunch as soon as I could, drove to the banquet hall where they were setting up the auction. I swapped quilts......I don't know how much the auction quilt netted, but the AAUW quilt (Cathedral Stars) brought in about $500.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, Cathy Young is my cousin!! And I will be seeing you in North East on Sunday. Isn't it a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:03 AM EDT

    I LOVE the cheddar-and-plaid version! I'm trying to decide on a pattern for a quilt for a friend's new house, and I keep thinking, "I'll make that one. No, that one. Would this one work better for the fabric I have on hand? Would they like this one more?" Gotta make a decision already, but I see these great ideas and it just gets harder! What a wonderful problem to have -- the choices between too many good things . Sally@TobaccoCreekFarm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - your hexie quilt is really coming along! It is absolutely stunning!!! I think it is hilarious that you forgot the quilt! I'm just amazed that you don't forget more as much as you run all over the place all the time :*) Sure do wish I was there making a My Blue Heaven quilt with all of you - YUM YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you post all the photos from your classes. It helps me decide on what fabrics/colors to pull for a quilt. Stop worrying about the "left at home", sounds like there is enough eye candy and students are loving your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:04 PM EDT

    Ashtabula Ohio??? My Singer Featherweight Hilda Axelina is from Ashtabula where my husband's grandmother was born and raised!!! Visited the live Hilda there in 1986 just before we moved to Guam. Never imagined that one day, I would inherit her Featherweight!! Have fun in your travels! Joy in AK
    P.S. wow your Hexies have grown!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:39 PM EDT

    Great colors people chose for their blocks. Didn't realize that you were allowed to make maize and blue quilts in Ohio! HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the orange and purple/bright plaids what a gorgeous combo! The hexie quilt is looking great and big, thinking of the ladies fussy cut hexi quilt that you too might nearly go blind...definitely one for the long arm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your blog and really like reading about your travels! I am hoping you will show a photo of My Blue Heaven quilt when you get home as would really like to see it. You might have shown it on another post but my memory isn't like it use to be!! Now I see you are headed to Ashtabula and my cousin Darlene Gassaway lives there so I just called her and left a message asking her if she is lucky enough to see you and take a class!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)