>>>>

Friday, June 22, 2012

Log Cabin Sightings!

Why is it that sometimes you look for something, and you can’t find it to save your life – and then – they show up in droves!

Such is the case with the abundance of log cabin quilts seen at the Factory Antique Mall in Verona, VA the other day. Everywhere I turned….Log Cabin, Log Cabin, Log Cabin!

And I love log cabin quilts – they just call to my heart. And I haven’t made one in a while, and I’m thinking – maybe it’s time!

What I love about the log cabin block is that there are ENDLESS ways to twist and turn and decide on a setting. It excites me every time! From Courthouse Steps to Straight Furrows to Barn Raising…and everywhere in between, Log cabins just capture my heart.

So I thought I’d write this post on the variety of log cabin quilts I crossed paths with --- a THEME post. Imagine that!

I loved the one displayed on this table made of wools and set in Straight Furrows. The centers of each block are the traditional solid red..and this one is tied. It was also pieced on a muslin foundation, so it’s a heavier beast ---add the backing to it, and there is a good reason that tying was used for this one. The fabrics in it are AWESOME!

OH_PA_June2012 609

How about a 1960s logt cabin, also in straight furrows --- displayed on a ladder! Can you see how it is quilted in straight diagonals across the blocks? ((Jill, if you are reading this -- I'm thinking that it's quilted on the Di-Angle! LOL!))

I love the block that has the black/white houndstooth fabric….zowie!

OH_PA_June2012 612

This is a very early one, and it was shredded so badly! I didn’t dare take it off its hanger ---some of the fabrics are completely worn away, but oh – what a treasure! The blocks are small, the strips are narrow. It’s set in Barn Raising. I looked at each fabric and imagined it as a dress, a skirt, a shirt waist ----and the quilt came from all the remnants of clothing construction. Imagine this quilt brand new, the binding just completed ----I’m sure the maker was thrilled with how graphic this quilt was!

OH_PA_June2012 613

Courthouse Steps!

This one has AMAZING fabrics ((Yes, try not to be freaked out by the evil looking Santa – I should have moved him from the photo, he just jumps right out at you! LOL!))

OH_PA_June2012 616

Look at these terrific fabrics! Her red centers are scrappy ---and I love how the pinks fluctuate, appearing both on the dark side of the block, and the light side of the block. Yep, looks like those “Medium” fabrics created havoc for quilters long ago too!

OH_PA_June2012 640

Courthouse Steps on a bench….this one where each side of the block is ONE fabric, with 4 fabrics per block. I love those turn-of-the-century burgundies…YUMMY!

And because we are in a log cabin mood – I want to share with you the show-and-tell that one of my students brought in to class in North East!

OH_PA_June2012 500

WOW!! I just love how graphic this is. She said her strips were 1” to start with and finish at 1/2”. The addition of the applique is just so eye-catching. It’s in the process of being hand quilted – she is in-the-ditch-ing every log cabin seam. The texture is SO nice, and you should see it from the back of the quilt!

Have you made a log cabin lately? Maybe that would be a great NEXT year’s Leader/Ender challenge? Start with 100 centers ----cut the logs for one side at a time….and build them that way? Hmmm…wheels are turning!

23 comments:

  1. Log cabin fanatic too. A leader ender challenge would be great or even a mystery quilt!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Log cabin fanatic too. A leader ender challenge would be great or even a mystery quilt!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't done one of those in yrs! I used the technique to suround some applique strawberries that my GM started. I should send you a pic, I have the origianl fabric, and some extra cut out appliques, and the orginal instructions from probably the 1930's maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of that for a leader and ender project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the plaid lunchbox caught my eye, had one in eigth grade in 1960.
    Love log cabins, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hand quilting a log cabin (various dark blues and w-o-w set in a straight furrows setting) right now. I just love log cabin quilts ... it's my "go-to" pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished a log cabin quilt. It was my first quilt and was paper pieced. I used scrappy centers and used Kansas Troubles strips to build the blocks. There were 17 strips per block. I have to say I am sooooo proud of this. I was not sure about it but it is gorgeous!! I would love to do another. Have not tried a leader ender anything yest as I am just getting started...do have the scraps though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to make a log cabin quilt but somehow other projects have come along. A leader/ender project would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I think that is a FANTASTIC idea...a Log Cabin leader/ender project! Keep those wheels turning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:56 AM EDT

    Log Cabin was one of the first to get my attention. But got side tracked to other patterns. Leader/Ender...it would be a challenge for me but I'm up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing all the vintage quilts you run into. I like the idea of a log cabin challenge. Count me in if you should decide. I'm still working on my bow ties. I have over 200 made so far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love log cabin quilts. I recall my Mom making one--every log cut with scissors using templates. I've put log cabin blocks in quilts, but I've never made a quilt of just log cabins. I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started a log cabin, leader/ender project just over a year ago. It's still not finished because I have ADQD (Attention Deficit Quilting Disorder!) I am going to be at your workshop in July at Bedford PA. Maybe I can get motivated to finish the top, at least, so I can bring it to show you! Can't wait to meet you.

    C

    www.katydidart.net
    katydidart60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:14 PM EDT

      Love the ADQD-goes great with my aADD! Finally found out in my late 40's what had been my problem all my life! Quite a few of us out there that are not diagnosed with the attention deficit defect and have learned to live with it all our lives! Now I blame all my UFO's on it! bev

      Delete
  14. Love the courthouse on a bench. The song book... Songs of the Soul... fits the quilt perfectly. It just sings to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What happened to the copyright sign? It's missing from the title ... Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am reading (I usually never miss one! :) )....I agree Di-Angle it is!!! LOL I bought the 1 1/2" strip cutter so that I could make a log cabin...I like the idea of a Leader and Ender challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leader enders...what a great way to get another one done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have started on a log cabin quilt with 1" unfinished strips also. I think I have about 100 finished. Right now, it is a travel project. We have a camper and I take my featherweight on trips to work on piecing projects. Small blocks are perfect for traveling! I don't know how big I will make it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got a bright log cabin on my frame right now. It's straight furrows by your instruction. LOL I'm just getting back to my frame and it's a bit intimidating, but I'm gonna do it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The very first quilt I made was a log cabin for my son's bed in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)