>>>>

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A hike to Linville Falls

The only thing bad about hiking DOWN to the falls is --- you have to hike back UP when you are done!

The hike down to the first viewing area is about 4/10 of a mile from the parking lot…It was easy going down, but I could tell it was going to be a booger going back up ----

Once at the viewing area – we could see people up and over away at ANOTHER overlook and we wanted to go there too --- so ….okay, lets hike another 3/10 of a mile to the second viewing area --- which was uphill part way, and then down again.

It was SO WORTH IT!

You can’t tell from these photos, but the water was roaring and pounding and it was just magnificent.

newland_NC 168

There it goes, down the chute!

The rock formations are just majestic ---I try to imagine this land in all its glory being “discovered” in the 1700s as settlers expanded across North Carolina. Such a wondrous place!

newland_NC 169

Can you see the first crash of the falls at the way back? It makes that run, then continues down river to the chute I showed you above.

newland_NC 170

And then it crashes….through the rock formations, way down ----

newland_NC 179

After hiking to the second overlook --- we could see both sets of falls. I could have just sat up here forever.

newland_NC 180

Down stream, the Linville river smooths out and finds its way thorugh the towering pines.

One more glimpse of nature’s beauty ----trying not to think about the 7/10 of a mile hike BACK to the car. All told we only hiked about 1.5 miles --- but it felt like 5, and uphill both ways! LOL! By this time I was wishing I had NOT worn my jeans --- it was shorts weather and getting hotter by the minute. I had dressed for the cool of the caverns ---

newland_NC 174

Hot & sweaty me with two of the falls over my head --- I wished I could have jumped right in to that water!

We are driving home today --- It’s been SUCH a great weekend to get away from it all ---we WILL be back, that I know for a fact!

It’s time to hunker down and get going on the business end of things. I leave for the Vermont Quilt Festival on Wednesday. That doesn’t give me much time to get ready for anything! And on the tail of that is my family reunion in Idaho on July 4th, followed by my retreat time in Oregon for the Sister’s Quilt show – all one right after the other.

If books arrive before then, they will just be waiting for us when I get back --- it should be soon now, and even through THEY may be ahead of schedule ((I expected delivery sometime in late July)) I can’t change MY schedule to get all the orders out early if I am away from home – and that freaks me out a bit.

Getting books out is a priority to me.

I hope you will be patient with me and know that I will do everything I can to get them out as quickly as possible when I am home to do so.

16 comments:

  1. It looks like you and your husband had a wonderful weekend. I'm happy for you. Don't worry about getting the books out...they'll come when they come. And we'll all be happy on that day whenever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will look for you in Vermont

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go!! Stressing yourself out after a great weekend (much deserved) with DH and worrying about when we'll get the books. The books will get there when they get there and we'll get them when you send them out. RELAX!! Enjoy your upcoming travels, the family reunion and I'm "green" that you get to go to Sisters, Oregon for the quilt show ... that's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place and beautiful pictures! Your 'next' career could be nature photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I suggest a pair of Columbia zip off pants. They are great for hiking since they can easily convert from long pants to shorts and back. I have some new ones since I lost enough weight that my others don't fit, but the old ones went to Glacier National Park where it was so hot it was awful one day and snowing at the continental divide the next. They were perfect since the options were all there. They also washed and dried in/over the bathtub fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love to hike! My other passion aside from quilting is Volksmarching. I will put Linville Falls on my bucket list to hike. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:03 AM EDT

    Such beautiful views - hiking is a long tme love. PLEASE come up into the Great Smokies!!! Hundreds of miles of trails, short, medium and long. Visit Cades Cove, eat ice cream in Gatlinburg and buy yummmmmy fudge. Be lazy or busy, any way you like it.
    This is QUILT country too!!!! Appalachian style...please come for a visit.
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a very full schedule! (I'd love to meet you -- should I crash your family reunion? LOL) Are you hanging our with friends or taking any classes at the Sisters Quilt Show this year?
    Though we are excited to get our books, we want you to get to them when you are able. We have to wait for holidays all the time, and your getting the books out is a quilter's holiday for me!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing weekend trip. The falls are magnificent. Of course, we are anxious for your book to arrive, but no one's life or health depends upon the date of delivery, so a week more or less.... Please enjoy your time and don't let worry about the books take away from any of it! We will wait--however anxiously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you need an assistant! some one who can also go on fabulous hiking camping trips and travel.... OH I'm free!;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eagerly awaiting your new book. I see it's for sale now at Pickledish, so hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've told the family not to plan anything for next July because I'm going to Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise Boysel2:57 PM EDT

    I agree, take your time, relax and enjoy the adventures. Books can wait. We will devour them when they arrive. The falls remind me of the ones in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only been to the first falls but hubby has been all the way up. We need to go back again soon. I love it up there but like you, jeans would not be welcome for that "little walk". Glad you had fun.

    Wanda
    http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beauty. Want to make a blue and green quilt now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like fun. I think that I would not have resisted plunging into that water.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)