>>>>

Thursday, June 21, 2012

From Marcia’s Grandmother’s Scrap Bag!

Marcia sent me photos of a TERRIFIC quilt top made by her grandmother, thinking it was one I would like to see.

She is SO RIGHT!!

I get so much inspiration from seeing these lovely antiques ---and you know what is also fun --- try to imagine the MUSIC of that era playing in the background while you look at these photos. I like to imagine the radio on, big band music wafting on a late summer evening, the style of the vintage kitchen, what might have been cooking for dinner, and what it was like in Grandma’s found moments of piecing!

Marcia writes:

Bonnie,
All of your hand pieced hexies made me think of my grandma’s quilt top stored away in a drawer.

I have had it in a drawer for more than 35 years when my mother passed it on to me when she made a move to a smaller house.

The June 20 posting of older quilts in Fairborn, Ohio, and your comments about fabrics made me get it out and take some photos to send you.

grandma's 2


She made it in the early 50s from scraps from her “house dresses” and aprons. I know her fabric store was Woolworth's in downtown Fremont, Ohio. I remember sitting on her porch working to sew very small pieces together. I did not like it.

grandma's 4

I started quilting about five years ago when I went into a nearby quilt shop to purchase a birthday gift for a friend. I joined a class, as well as finding the gift.

It isn’t hexies, but is it hand pieced. It has the mustard you love that I thought was tooooo bright. Now I know mustard is a sign of an era.

grandma's 3

((Can you find the gingham check square with the “frugal piecing in it?! Love it!))

The bright turquoise border (shows lighter than it is) was stitched on with her electrified treadle machine:

grandma's 1

She also left a hand pieced quilt that was to be my wedding present. About 20 years ago a quilter friend hand quilted it for me.

Although I had been to your web site several times in recent years, I just started reading your blog daily after a friend told me about it at a February Quilt Retreat.

Wish I had known about the workshops in Fairborn sooner, I would have made arrangements to come. My mother-in-law attended lunches and programs in that senior center. My sister-in-law probably knows ladies who attended.

Hope you enjoy seeing another mustard, hand pieced scrap quilt.


Marcia

Marcia,

Your Grandmother’s quilt top is a treasure! Look at all those wonderful dress fabrics in it..and the patience to piece this design! I think it is related somewhat to a “jacks chain” pattern ---this is just a WONDERFUL top, and you are so lucky that your grandmother quilted, and that you have these in your possession.

Thank you for allowing me to share this quilt, and your story – with quilters everywhere!

13 comments:

  1. *B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L*!!!!
    I really want to make this quilt!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt top. I can close my eyes and see my own grandmothers wearing "housedresses" made of those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:33 PM EDT

    What a beautiful quilt pattern!! And it is finally done,after all these years,what a treasure to keep for future generations.
    Marga in Berlin,Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:38 PM EDT

    Marcia has a wonderful special quilt top! Thanks to both of you for sharing it with us. Like you Bonnie, I too imagine what was happening in the life of an older quilt. I do remember when Mom brough a dress, it came with an easy to take out hem! And the dresses were made longer to serve a number of ladies' heights. IMAGINE THAT. You cut the excess off and saved it. Mom was not a quilter, but she knew a few older ladies that were. So unstained parts of aprons, fabric trimmed off anything etc when to them. I could just see those ladies making a top like this.

    Wonderful!
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful quilt top. It should be hand quilted. That looks harder than the double wedding ring. Since this is the era that I made my first quilt. I would never have picked that mustard for the background. Yes it is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:49 PM EDT

    I couldn't believe it when I saw this quilt. I had just seen this pattern made up with less than traditional fabric. You can see it at http://imagingermonkey.blogspot.com/2012/06/spring-carnival-quilted.html they named the pattern as spring carnival. Thanks for sharing.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted this story! I couple years ago I made a top of that pattern in greens and white, and I'd totally forgotten about it! I just started digging through totes and found it! It's now in the "Get busy on these" pile! lol Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt! I just finished a Jack's Chain top and posted a tutorial on my own blog: http://carpelanam.blogspot.com/2012/06/jacks-chain-tutorial.html
    Jack's Chain uses 9-patches where this quilt uses simple squares. The book I have calls this pattern Merry-Go-Round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you both for sharing the quilt, it is truly wonderful!
    Not sure if it will ever get done but I would love to add it to my list! It's a very big list LOL

    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:51 AM EDT

    Isn't it a shame we do not appreciate the time we spend with older people until it is too late? O how I wish now I could share quilting time with my grandmothers. They both had so much to teach me if I had been willing to learn .Joaniegirl in Lakeland Fl

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely quilt. I recognize some of those fabric. They look like the house dresses my grandmother wore. At 62 I now know why she like them so much. The fabric breathed at a time of no air conditioner. I remember one fan for the whole house and everyone sitting around it. No TV just conversation or prepping for dinner.
    Aileen in FL

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)