>>>>

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Friendly Quilters of Ashtabula!

Yesterday was our Jared Takes a Wife workshop #2 in Ohio ---Two guilds, five hours drive apart, both chose this one as their workshop.

I tend to think of it as a great “beginner” or “intermediate” workshop – the sewing is very straight forward, everything comes from 2” strips except for the very center of the block ---and it’s a great way to divide those scraps up into color families and really have some fun with the piecing.

And then someone pointed out that my “easy” quilt had 53 pieces in each block ---and suddenly I saw it through a newer quilter’s eyes.

Even “simple” quilts can seem overwhelming when the block has more pieces than you’ve ever put in one block before.

And I had new appreciation for those who were brave enough to come play, and understood why they might feel a bit out of their elements and over their heads ---This simple 30 block quilt adds up to 1,590 pieces not including sashing, cornerstones or borders.

But they dove in anyway! With both feet and both hands, and fabulous scraps and individual color plans and schemes, with stories of who they were making this quilt for, or how big they wanted to make it ((Some are going BIGGER than the 30 blocks!)) and we sewed and sewed and sewed all day!

I have to give the prize of dedication to Jean --- and I think everyone in class would agree with me.

I was told early on in the morning that Jean was going to have to leave by noon ---she had a family funeral to attend that afternoon so could only stay for the morning.

The story unfolded and we grinned and laughed and understood even farther ----it wasn’t just ANY funeral that she had to leave for. It was her mother’s funeral!

Now before you gasp and say you wouldn’t have BEEN in class in the first place – consider this:

Jean’s mother has been ill a LONG time. The end was welcome, peaceful and well received. But it took a while ----and for over 2 weeks now all of Jean’s extended family has been camping out at her house just waiting for mom to pass on ----

And since the class was paid for, and all her stuff was cut up and ready to go, and because she needed some mental health hours with her closest quilting buds --- and to escape the insanity of too many people in her kitchen, she came to class! And we knew she would have had her mother’s blessing to do so as well.

Jean, you are my hero! All of our thoughts went with you as you left at noon to go to be with your family. And I just feel like your mom was smiling right along with all of us --- and nodding in understanding!

Yep --- our quilting IS our therapy. Being surrounded by like-minded quilters who get us, and understand – IS the best medicine.

And I’m still chuckling to myself about it ----

So let’s share some photos, shall we?

I’m writing from North East, PA ---I’ve settled into a lovely B&B and even set up for sewing some last night!

This morning I’m meeting with some guild girls for a walk----my legs and my camera are ready! The glimpses I got of Lake Erie on the drive over are awe inspiring ---so be watching for photos of that to come.

My lecture is at 2pm today --- and we’ve got dinner planned for this evening ---I’m in VERY good hands and excited to be in a place I’ve never ever been before --

My best wishes to the fathers out there --- I’m wishing you a very very happy Father’s Day!

18 comments:

  1. I have to laugh as I listen to your travels around PA. My moms side of the family all came down for the weekend her in Lewisville NC from PA! Ive smiled as you visited familiar places to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to North East. I hope you are able to visit Mercyhurst North East's beautiful campus. It is right in town and a very beautiful and photogenic place. (I work there!) I will see you at the lecture this afternoon. I loved your story - I am sure Jean's Mom was blessing her sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father died two weeks before my mother was due to take a class with her quilting group. It was paid for, so she would ave lost her money. But in the scheme of things, that hardly mattered. She was sick with grief and didn't want to go but did, and it was the best thing for her. She was surrounded by her friends who loved her, and she ended up making a deeply personal quilt dedicated to my father. We quilt in times of deep stress, to calm us...it saved her sanity more than once in the long years she spent alone after he died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:20 AM EDT

    Loved the pictures of JTW, but especially the black and white one... if I didn't still have the three started from when you were here in Delaware in April I would jump on that one in a heart beat. I am originally from that area - a little more east in Jamestown - my mom Anne and her buds are driving over for the lecture today and she was lucky enough to get into your workshop tomorrow - she was here in April and took all three of your workshops now she will have 4 'Bonnie' UFO's. Enjoy your stay in a wonderful and beautiful part of our country. And if you think about it - hug my mom for me.

    Carrie
    Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is truely horrible and beautiful at the same time. The lingering death of your mom, becomes the horrible. and the funeral becomes the beautiful. WTG Jean for doing what you normally would have done. it probably saved your sanity. I know that was the best thing you could do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't blame Jean one little bit for coming to class... sewing therapy cures all sorts of stuff! I'm sure her mother approved!

    Love all the JTW blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:37 AM EDT

    My brother died unexpectedly at 46 the day we were supposed to leave for a baseball tournament that my 16 year old son was participating in. At first we were not going to go, but due to circumstances, there was nothing we could do about the wake or funeral for at least a week. I decided that we all needed to go and be with where my brother would want us to be. I know his spirit was with us at the games just like he had been with us so many times before. The boys on the team wrote my brothers name on their sneakers and played in his honor. It made dealing with the situation bearable, at least for a few days. Thanks for giving me a place to share this story on fathers day as I sit here missing him. He was a wonderful father, brother, son and just all around loving person. -- Andrea Diamond

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:58 AM EDT

    my husband died suddenly at home. attending the much anticipated guild Christmas party that week was very difficult,but easy to let my love of quilting friends prop me up during a dark time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blocks and the wonderful story. My mother-in-law died in March and I went to one of my quilt clubs the evening of the funeral. It helps to try to be normal. It wasn't 2000 fabric but loved the pieces of Steeler fabric used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:48 AM EDT

      not my block but = thanks for pointing out the Steeler fabric - I try and use at least one piece of it in everything I make... have it in black, gold and white - makes for great scrappys!

      Carrie
      Delaware

      Delete
  10. My father passed away a couple of weeks ago, and I took my hxeis to Ar with me to work on. It was so nice to have something to occupy my minds and hands during such a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the photos of Lake Erie, I was there for the first time last year. I get very excited when I see or go some place new. Enjoy day and I am glad you are getting spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the color choices this group used. The colors on row four, fourth block really caught my attention. My sympathy to Jean and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the blocks are beautiful! I think it's great that Jean had her quilty buddies to help her through a rough day! I certainly understand how the end was "welcome, peaceful and well received". Along with the sadness, I felt much the same when my mother passed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this block. It is so nice to see that it works as a scrappy block or using the same colorway in each.
    Beautiful. Is this block in one of your books? It combines my love of scrappy quilts and stars.
    Each and every sample I saw was beautiful. Thanks for these slide shows. I really want to take one of your classes. I live in Phoenix. I know you are coming to Tucson in 2013 and a friend is joining their guild so that she can attend. I may have to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:43 PM EDT

      this is one of her free patterns -

      Carrie

      Delete
  15. Hoping that Jean reads this: Jean you're an inspiration to many and kudos to you to follow what heart and soul needed and not what was expected!! May you always have opportunities to do what you know is best to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Someone tell Jean for me that the only way I get through some of the hard times in my own life is with the love and support of my sewing sisters. I'm sure glad she took time out to take care of herself.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)