>>>>

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Crumbs and Late Night Movies!

I finished the binding on my long-awaited finish ((More like, pushed aside, neglected and much looked over in favor of other projects!)) on a crumb quilt I finished piecing when we still lived in Columbia, SC.

That means it’s been waiting around 5 years or more for this finish to finally be complete!

The main reason is that I was “GOING” to hand quilt it. I really wanted to hand quilt spider webs in the alternate blocks ---but I’ve already got 2 large quilts in the “Neglecting the hand quilting” queue, and this just stayed as a top for some day.

And then I found a spider web design that looked really good as a panto called “Entangled” HERE. It’s available as both a digital pattern and a paper one for those interested.

And I set out to quilting this one ---LOVE IT!

I had wanted to include this quilt in the book that is coming out ---but two strikes were against me.

1.) It is more “Crumby” than “Stringy”.

2.) We were already at page limit.

crumbquilts 002

And that, friends, is why it sat – with the binding sewn on and waiting to be hand stitched down – but not touched – for over 6 months! The last time I remember actually putting stitches into this before yesterday was at the Christmas Movie Night for our Bee at Mrs Goodneedle’s house in DECEMBER.

Bad Bonnie. Once it was no longer a priority – it sat.

I finished the binding and the sleeve last night while watching a few episodes of Law & Order SVU, and then “It’s Complicated” with Meryl Streep came on, and I knew I would stay up and watch the entire thing because that movie just cracks me up to no end ---which explains why it was after 1am when I put my needle down, and got to bed. And why it is after 9am now as I write this --- Yes, I’m still on the Night Owl Train ---But look! It’s done!

crumbquilts 003

The solid blue is perfect for the busy scrappy crumb blocks…and I love this border! I did use ONE shirting print to frame the blocks, and to use as the border diamonds---I wanted something that would give everything a common element.

crumbquilts 004

The blocks were trimmed at 5” square and finish at 4.5” --- with the 1.5” cut sashings added (( yes, those cornerstones are all from the leader/ender 1.5” squares box!)) the finished size of each block is 6.5”. I know it’s an odd measurement, but that’s just what it turned out to be.

If you've never made crumb blocks before, beware -- the are addiciting! Check out my tutorial HERE.

crumbquilts 005

I’m just really happy to have this done! I haven’t done much crumb piecing lately – and I’ve got bins of crumbs just waiting to be sewn into some more scrappy wonders ---

I finished the quilt before the movie was done – and started right in on the binding on Florabunda –—One side done, three more to go ---maybe I’ll do late night movie night again this evening?!

I better get going, Lisa should be here shortly to get her chicken quilt loaded…..((Haahahahah, leaving her chicken wire panties at home I hope!!)))

22 comments:

  1. Bonnie ~ in a word AMAZING!! You astound me with what you create out of something others would throw away. Such an amazing talent!! I'm so inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt...and I love the spider web!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...sparkly! LOVE the quilting! Those spider webs are so funky-fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you find a chicken wire Panto?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My, love the quilt, and the border is SUPER.....On my way to San Diego for a full two weeks visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:23 AM EDT

    This is one of my favorites, thank you.
    Patricia Tate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how it turned it! The setting and border are great. I'm so glad I was able to get into your upcoming crumbs workshop. It looks like it will be lots of fun and a great way to use up some of my crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilt! Congrats on the finish! Oh, I have a question for you! I assume that even with your prolific quilting, you are still excited when you are FINISHED with a quilt. Do you show them to Dave? At this point in your quilting life, what is his reaction? Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this one, unsurprisingly. I've got a place to store it for ya, if you've run out of room (and even if you haven't) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Job well done! I'm like you. If for some reason the deadline on a project comes and goes and leaves me with no good reason to continue to complete it......it sits, and sits, and sits......you know the story. I'm trying harder to finish the UFO's and not start anything more but then I just have to be part of the "Girl Gang" BOM group. So be it. Can't wait to see the Florabunda when you get that one done too. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The perfect 'royal blue' for 'our' Queen's Jubilee ;)
    Great quilt. I love that blue, it really ties it all together beautifully. Can't wait to see Floribunda done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, maybe your next book should be on Crumb Piecing! I would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How pretty that is! And to think that a lot of people would have just thrown away those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait for that book to come out. Seems a natural progression from strings to crumbs, no? It could be called Crumby Goodness

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:36 PM EDT

    Us night owls get a lot done!! No phones or errands to run. Maybe something good on tv, maybe not. I just finished 3 UFOs. Feels good!! Love your quilt. Royal Blue really talks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice quilt! Love the way the blue makes the rest of it pop! Good job be productive! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like it! It's the first time I've read your crumb piecing tutorial and I went through Barb's as well. I'm excited to give it a try! I love what you said about the crumbs costing as much as the yardage... SO TRUE!! Thanks! I also like watching movies while sewing, but last night I picked one with subtitles by accident, I ended up knitting instead so I could pay attention to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:48 AM EDT

    Time Travel quilt! Bonnie, this one would look right at home in the 1930s! I love it. The blue background and your beautiful border does make it pop. Now, how on earth do you think of these things?
    Perhaps you will run a few posts on background fabric slection etc. p-l-e-a-s-e lol
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie....I love it! That border is amazing. I have a quilt I am working on right now that could use that border on it. You so inspire me! Thank you! Can't wait for that new book to reach my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is so fun and beautiful!! I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4:18 AM EDT

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your crumb quilts and the blue blocks.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)