>>>>

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Walk on the Wild Side!

Shamu, my Toyota Sienna van is all packed up and ready to head to Virginia. It’s been a while since I had a driving trip, but I’ll be making up for that in the next couple of weeks ---still, I’m looking forward to just hitting the road, listening to my book on my mp3 player that is hooked up through the car stereo aux system and GOING!

First stop? Well, the Chiropractor of course --- who knows, maybe they will have the total number of jelly beans figured out by now? I’ll let you know if so!

From there ---I really NEED to stop and get a haircut before I show up at VCQ Celebration. I’ve been putting it off the past few weeks and I’ve really noticed the ends are dry and brittle ----I know I’ll feel better if I get that done! And then I’m on my way ---

I got a message on Facebook from a quilter telling me of an antique place I need to stop at on my way up to VCQ ----so I jotted the address down and hopefully there will be time to visit there too!

We really did fill up every minute of my time in Delaware. Speaking of Delaware:

Deb: "What DID Della Wear?"

Me: "I dunno --- WHAT?!"

Deb: "A NEW JERSEY!"

Okay, it's corny, but I fell for it! LOL!!

After our last workshop on Tuesday, Deb picked me up to take me on a bit of a drive of some of the more remote nature places around Dover. It was perfect weather. We’d had rain pretty much since the time I arrived ((Remember my Amish walk and getting drenched in the down pour on the way back?))but by Tuesday morning the sky was blue and the sun was shining ---she knew of a great nature preserve area that we could view from an observation platform ---and I’m game for ANYTHING, so off we went!

The first pic at the top of this post is the beginning of the board walk leading to the observation tower/deck…..

Delaware2012 220

The boardwalk lead us past some pretty marshy-swampy-primeval areas….

Delaware2012 221

We reached the end of the boardwalk where the tower was ---- and up we went! Can you smell the woody-ness of a new SPRING?! It was definitely in the air.

Delaware2012 222

This was the most cool peaceful place! I could imagine coming out here with a picnic lunch…..a book to read…..climbing the stairs and taking time to just be “unplugged” for a while.

Delaware2012 223

What a panoramic view!

What you can’t see…or what I couldn’t capture any better with a simple phone camera ---is the edge of the Chesapeake Bay. The dark blue of the water was just there where the marsh ended…..

Delaware2012 224

Can you see it? It’s the finest dark blue line right where the marsh meets the sky at the horizon. Deb pointed out a whole flock of egrets ---and handed me the binoculars to check them out. There they were! Strutting out there, doing their posturing ---of course they were too far away to catch by camera…but with the binoculars I could sit and watch them for a long long time.

Delaware2012 225

Just a very big sky meeting a wide empty place before it drops off into the water…..I can barely see the edge of the bay in this photo….maybe if you look close?

Delaware2012 227

From here we headed over to Pickering Beach ---it’s Horseshoe Crab Spawning season!

Delaware2012 226

I never really knew much about horseshoe crabs…and I’d certainly never seen live ones. I’d seen their shells before, but no critter was alive in them! There were even “please help the crabs” signs around…..it seems the tide comes in, the crabs ride in on the tide to come lay their eggs on shore, and then the tide goes out leaving them stranded on the shore, many times UPSIDE DOWN and unable to right themselves!

So basically the signs are asking people to give a “Helping Hand” in turning them back over so they can make their way back to the sea!

Delaware2012 228

When we got there, we saw this gentleman and his wife digging. My first thought was that they were digging for clams, but they had this whole area roped off with pink flags. I’m a curious sort, and not afraid to ask questions to strangers ---turns out that they are with the horseshoe crab preservation society or some such thing, and were actually taking sand samples to track the quantity of horseshoe crab eggs present. I was told that they are like little green pearls.

The BIRDS were going nuts…they love to eat the horseshoe crab eggs – it’s like little birdy caviar to them, and they were just wanting us to go away so they could have their snack!

Delaware2012 230

The crabs were everywhere……many of them upside down…I thought they were dead! They certainly weren’t moving or flailing about while they were upside down ---maybe they are conserving their energy? But as soon as you flip them over…they get to moving and trying to get themselves to the surf!

Delaware2012 232

Deb picked this one up and his legs just started kicking to beat the band! That’s when I got the idea to turn the video camera on…..They aren’t the greatest, but it was fun to see them do their thing:

The folks collecting the egg samples also took time to explain to us the difference between the he-crab and the she-crab ---it was just an interesting unexpected adventure!

I got two videos, one with the camera right side up, one side ways ---you can sure hear the hungry birds in the background! My narration is kind of stupid, but hey – we had fun!

Delaware2012 229

Here I think you can see them all just there on the beach waiting for the tide to come back in. So just remember, if you see these stranded on their backs, be kind and give them a “Helping Hand” and just flip them back over so they can make their way. They don’t have pincher claws…..just lots of legs!

Delaware2012 233

PIckering Beach, Delaware

Lesson Learned: Sometimes we all need a bit of help to get back on our feet, pointing in the right direction in an effort to achieve our goal!

And with that – I’m off to Virginia. I wonder what adventures are in store NEXT?!

19 comments:

  1. That was really cool! Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a nice nature adventure on your last day in Delaware. It really is a nice little gem of a state, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:48 AM EDT

    That is beautiful! Wish it was close enough for a walk. I love hiking through these kinds of places. I have a whole new respect for horseshoe crabs, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and a loud amen to that bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing the horseshoe crabs in their natural environment. Thanks for the video it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing the crabs -- maybe some of the crabs will name their babies after Deb! Thank you Deb! Never seen a horseshoe crab in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how that brought back lovely memories! I grew up going to the eastern shore every summer where my grandmother had a summer home - horseshoe crabs, and steamed blue crabs, and the sometimes still chilly Atlantic! Thanks for the trip back to a sweet time :*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:13 AM EDT

    Thanks for sharing. Always learn something from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Q: How did Wisconsin?
    A: She stole a New-brass-key.

    Q: What did MissisSIP?
    A: She sipped a MinneSODA.

    Q: What did IoWEIGH?
    A: She weighed a WashingTON.

    Q: What did IdaHOE?
    A: She hoed her MaryLAND.

    Q. What does TennesSEE?
    A. She sees what ArkanSAW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:57 PM EDT

      These lines are from an old song in the 40' or 50's. I can remember my mom singing it to us as we would do dishes when I was a kid!
      Bev (kwiltpharm@aol.com)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your lastest adventure, Bonnie! I know all your travels can take a toll on you, but I'm so glad you spend the time and energy to take in and appreciate all your surroundings wherever you are. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, that was fun learning about the horseshoe crabs!
    And about that corny joke and the ones Nann lists above--they are in an old song my Mom used to sing to me when I was little. Good times. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nann beat me to the Idaho joke. Being a native Idahoan, that one is my favorite!
    Thanks Bonnie for your little life lessons learned in your travels. Sometimes we do need a little help to get flipped in the right direction. I so enjoy your travel posts, it allows me to see places I wouldn't otherwise.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What did Deleware?
    Idaho, Alaska, she wore her brand New Jersey!
    ( I don't know, I'll ask her)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I remember this correctly from Biology class, horseshoe crabs have never changed from eons ago, evolution just passed them by! And they look it, Lol! I would not have picked one up either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:21 PM EDT

    Thanks Bonnie. I loved the video of the crab. Awesome.
    Have fun on your next trip.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was way to cool! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was cool....I never heard of horseshoe crabs before......I'm from California, but that was very interesting....

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)