>>>>

Monday, April 02, 2012

Virginia Bound, Moline Style!

20 quilters --- laundry baskets and tubs and bins and bags full of scraps and strings, and FULL shirts ready to be cut down ---

I *WAS* sworn to secrecy, but you know…..I just can’t stand it --- because there are certain thrift stores in this area that have TWENTY FIVE CENT TUESDAYS!! That means --- gorgeous 100% cotton shirts are 4 for $1.00 --- are you whining with me yet?!

I’m trying to show some restraint….because this coming Tuesday is 25 cent day, and I’m telling myself that I don’t NEED any more shirts --- plus – I’d have to fight off all these women for them! LOL!

We had Virginia Bound blocks happening in so many color ways and styles it was a delight to see! Oh, and before I forget and go any farther, I’ve had emails asking where people can find Virginia Bound. I forget that we have lots of new readers who haven’t been following for long ---so you can find Virginia Bound in my first book, Scraps & Shirttails (vol 1) HERE!

We had more show and tell at lunch break, and I let someone ELSE do the holding, so I could get pics!

DavenportIA2012 143

Kelli showed her “Fair & Square” from Scraps & Shirttails II ---her borders are almost ready to go on! Boy can this girl power sew!

DavenportIA2012 145

She also showed her “Blue Ridge Beauty” ((From Adventures With Leaders & Enders)) in blacks and whites! This is AWESOME --- you should see the variety of fabrics in it. She’s made it for a wedding gift for some friends --- all I can say is they must be pretty danged good friends to deserve this quilt..it’s wonderfful!

DavenportIA2012 144

One quilter brought her My Blue Heaven! Doesn’t it look great? I just love blue/neutral quilts! I really like her piano key border, which was a great place to use up those left over 2.5” strips!

We used up every other available minute of the day sewing Virginia Bound blocks…..and of course, as always --- the scraps don’t go away, they left with juset as much fabric as they came with!

See for yourself!

The day was so warm that we opened up those great big garage doors to let in the fresh air ---after being told there were LILACS blooming out back, I had to go get a whiff….

DavenportIA2012 150

These were the small blossomed heirloom variety – and oh their fragrance was HEADY!

DavenportIA2012 149

I haven’t had lilacs since we moved from Idaho, and they are the one spring flower I really miss! They just don’t grow near where I live --- there are plenty of other “purple” things – but they just don’t SMELL the same! This fragrance takes me all the way back to when I was a little girl --- I love it!

April 1st! And Lilacs are in full bloom! What a WEIRD winter and spring it’s been so far!

Today we have a completely different workshop. We’ll be doing Scrappy Mountain Majesties --- and working with 8.5” squares of fabric. More photos to come ---- it’s going to be another fun day in Moline!

22 comments:

  1. Our Lilacs are blooming too! LOVE lilacs. It's one of the few back yard things my wife and I agree on. I only wish they flowered longer.

    Looks like you're having a good time as usual.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, love lilacs but 25-cent tuesday, now that's something to brag about! if only the thrifts in our area would have one of those (sigh)....stock up for us bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I do believe it's time to add some lilacs to your garden.. :) There are lilacs that gorw as far south as Florida! Everyone needs a spot of lilac putple in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:23 AM EDT

    I can't believe the places you get to go and things you get to see. AND you share so nicely with us all. Your mother must have brought you up right gal. I love your slide shows of all the ladies projects.
    I'm thinking my lilacs will be a month early this year too. Amazing.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for the want of a 25c Tuesday!!! I wonder if they would post to the UK!!!
    I must find a way to increase my scraps cause I love your quilts!!
    Loving what you do.
    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:38 AM EDT

    Hi Bonnie, I started another Virginia Bound yesterday. I'm making it for a friend with her husband's shirts. He passed alittle over a year ago from cancer much too young. He had a great collection of shirts. We are making 5 quilts, one for each, daughter(2), son, Mom and wife. They are all different patterns, two are from your free patterns on line! She's not a quilter but is doing a great job with them. She has made 2, in the process of making a third. I have made one and in the process of making Virginia Bound for her. I love your blog, you are such an ispiration to me. Keep up the good work:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to do for your friend.

      Delete
  7. Why don't you have lilacs Bonnie? Is it the weather?
    I tried our charity shops for cotton shirts and they are nearly all polycotton. Oh bother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, man, am I ever jealous of Moline! That looks SO fun.~

    Lucy (who was okay not doing that block 'til I saw those)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told there was a new lilac variety that grows in our area...may have been developed by Clemson or Rutgers (?) My gardener told me about it a few weeks ago when we were discussing new plants for my yard...I'll get the name from him for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, i think you live in zone 7 as i do... I have a lilac about ready to burst... Tons-o-blossoms. Years ago, I bought it in Southern Pines, thinking if it bloomed & lived there, it would do fine here & it does! The variety is named "Lille Kim.". Very fragrant with a sweet scent. Thanks for your blog! O btw, downloaded your book recommendation from free Kindle... Just right read, light reading with good descriptive writing... Thanks! B

    ReplyDelete
  11. another great slide show...really like the virginia bound blocks. i made the spider web, now i want to do this one. i have many, many strips. still. haha, i think i the say same thing after every slide show. inspirational, as always. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bonnie, what have you done to me??? Before it used to be I have that fabric, oh I have that one too, Oh I have that in green not blue. Now it is Oh I have that shirt, Oh that one looks just like the one I just picked up from the garage sale, Oh I wish I had that one I love that pattern! I went to my local quilt store on Saturday and I bought out of their scrap bin!!!! I tell myself I just need more variety but what is happening to me? I think I'm addicted to scraps. Hi, my name is Sandy and I'm addicted to scraps and I can't stop....I guess there is no hope for me now!

    Sandy in TN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha...I hear your pain Sandy....I have a hard time cutting into all my yardage because I am always doing scraps.

    Love the pictures of the Lilacs, I have them in the yard but the deer usually eat them before I get my first smell. Hopefully, they'll get tall enough that the deer can't get to them.

    Looks like everyone is having a great time in the "garage".....what a great space, it must have been heavenly with the doors open!

    Happy Sewing:0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun slide show, Bonnie. There were some great fabric combos--love the one with the brown background, and the red and yellows, but the black and white with the red outline stole the show for me!
    Shirts with the collar labels left on were very fun! And 25 cent shirts? Oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I love the black and white one with the narrow red accent stripe. That one is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a group of creative ladies...leaving that tags on, adding the little extra red "piping", great fabric combinations, how neat! Looks like it was a really fun group and a nice place to work in. Thanks for the slide show. Wish our thrift stores had the deals you always write about! wow!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, why don't we have any thrift stores like that around here?

    Most of them want $3 - $5 for a shirt!

    But there's one store that will choose one tag color per month and mark those down to $1.00 each.

    Thanks for an inspiring slide show.

    --C.B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lilacs are a favorite of mine. Not sure if I could grow them here.
    Fantastic show and tell from your class. And equally great blocks in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am I crazy, or did someone sew a dollar bill into their block? L
    ooks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:09 PM EDT

    I can't believe there are no lilacs in the Winston-Salem area. I have some in my yard near Asheville and would have thought they would grow that far east. Oh, well! What do I know?
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)