>>>>

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

String Spider Webs in Dover!

As you saw from yesterday’s Iphone-O-Gram --- we were busy up to our ears in piles of strings and scraps!

The biggest hit of the day of course was the HUGE mound of strips on the community scrap table ----Bring some, take some, share some --- and I admit, even a few are going home with ME!

A wonderful time was had by all as we sewed blocks in many different themes and color combos….

We had Christmas quilts, Halloween quilts, batik ones and black/white/yellow ones ----backgrounds of as varied colorways as I have ever seen anywhere --- this is what is so fun to watch come about.

You know what though? I don’t think there was a single person who used RED as a background……I’ve had it on my mind to do solid red as a background for a long time --- like right---when am I supposed to find the time to remake this quilt?! Oh, some day!

Delaware2012 158

I have to show you one of the coolest of all….this is Wanda’s “Wizard of Oz” theme…..she fussy cut her “kites” out of larger Wizard of Oz prints….it is going to be SO awesome when she gets it done!

They were all turning out so great, and of course, no one made a dent in any amount of fabric they brought to sew with --- that that wasn’t REALLY the point of getting together, was it? Nope….we gathered to enjoy each other and mingle, converse, laugh, support, share and learn. Any fabric usage is secondary!

And after the raid on that scrap table, I think there were some that left with more than they came with! LOL!

So on with the slide show:

After class, we high tailed it over to the church where the guild meeting was to be held ---we unloaded the trunk show, set things up, and made a bee-line back to Marti’s for a bit of R&R ---((Take that to mean that I crashed for a 1.5 hr much needed NAP!)) and then headed back to meet up with the ladies at 6pm for a meeting that started at 6:30 ----

Time is winding down in Delaware --- it flies so fast! We have today ---it’s a Cathedral Stars workshop day ---dinner out with the guild ladies, and then tomorrow ---back to Baltimore for my home flight.

Enjoy your Tuesday, everyone!

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:31 AM EDT

    Love the Wizard of Oz centers on the spiderwebs. How classic (pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:35 AM EDT

    Great slide show, Bonnie, and I too love the idea of fussy cutting the "Oz" fabric, may keep that in mind.
    Have a great Tuesday.
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. What super-fun blocks! I think I might have a string spider in my near future :-) I think I better finish Orca Bay, though! Enjoy the remainder of your stay, your doing a good job of it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Lots of great color combos. I love the pics of the blocks stuck on ladies' chests. Looks like a silly group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the show of all the gorgeous blocks. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are so inspiring! I have GOT to make this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The different centers are yield such different results - so fascinating! Also interesting is how differently people approach the organization of their "strings". Thanks for the slide show. :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:44 AM EDT

    Always enjoy seeing how different each quilter makes up the blocks.
    Like Nann has said, I GOT to use this pattern. String piecing is an addiction - I have done plain square blocks for a long time. BUT that said, just have to make a quilt using this pattern.

    If it stand still, quilt it!!!
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing blocks, I think I CAN do a scrappy. Thank you for the inspiration. I love the idea of a community strip pile. Gives me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another delightful slide show! Love the Oz block! Several other color combos were striking, too. I recognized far too many of the old Christmas fabrics in some of the blocks--I have the same ones in my Barrister's Sow-Along Christmas set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting pattern.You could use it as leader & gender keeping kite constant. Keep having fun.Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:07 PM EDT

    What book is the spider web quilt in?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great variety of looks in this group! I would love to see the completed quilt of the block with hot pink for the kites, and bold angled chunks for the strings, including an orange and black tiger stripe look! That's going to be very striking, and a whole different look for the spider webs. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so beautiful, I was also wondering about which book this block is in, I would love to try making some. Thanks for the great slideshow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janny Schoneveld1:32 PM EDT

    Love the spiderwebsblock.
    One day....
    Greetings from Holland.
    Janny S.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:54 PM EDT

    Wow, really impressed with how organized some of these quilters had their strings. Mine are just a big mess in a huge bin. As hard I as tried I could never get my webs to match up as perfectly as these ladies have. Looks like they all had a blast.
    deedeequilts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:13 PM EDT

    Hmmm. That one constructed of all those selvages.....I have this tub of them that I couldn't figure out what to do with ......except tie up seedlings in the garden. I think they have been saved from a life of gardening. What a fantastic idea! Joy in AK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:56 PM EDT

    Loved all the blocks, makes me want to try doing a spiderweb quilt myself!!!
    ajmtmm@ktis.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Watching your slide shows are so inspiring! I'm waiting for Adventures in Leaders and Enders to arrive so I can start one.I don't remember which right now, but I loved it. Also, it's distressing to see how many fabrics I have that are also in these string quilts - it's just too scary!! lol Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. For those wondering where to find the pattern - it's a free one on Bonnie's quiltville.com website. There are several free patterns she offers there - how cool is that??

    It was a great three days of classes, new friends and wonderful food. I'm sad to be heading home and back to work (groan).

    ReplyDelete
  21. No RED? That just isn't right.... Lots of pretty ones tho.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan in Shelby, NC11:11 AM EDT

    Great use of scraps and who doesn't have that stash scrap that they can let go of. Looks like another winner. Can't wait to see the book in person. Congratulations.a

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are all beautiful. It is amazing how whatever the middle kite colour is they all look great. I have been taming my scraps and I have one more big bag to go. I know there are a lot of selvedges and strings in the last bag so I think I may have to make a spiderweb quilt. along with all the other bonnie pattern quilts lol.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)