>>>>

Sunday, April 22, 2012

MQX, Part 4!

This has GOT to be the last MQX post, I mean -- how long can this show drag on? LOL!

I guess as long as there are quilts to show, and we only have so much time to show what we can show --- it goes on until it’s done!

Rhode Island, like North Carolina, used to be big in the mill inudstry ----there were mills everywhere, and many towns were considered as “mill towns” but one by one, just like everywhere else, industry left ---and left behind empty buildings in the aftermath.

One of the places I got to go to was a fabric/craft store called Ryco ---that’s where I showed you the pic of the old Kenmore machine that brought back so many memories – this building is the other part of the same complex that Ryco is in ----it doesn’t look like you could possibly be going anywhere NEAR a quilt/fabric shop --- but you are!

RhodeIsland2012 188

This batch of photos has some really fun ones! Look at his medallion style quilt! It has so much going on in it – I love the color play between the blocks, and the blocks in different sizes.

RhodeIsland2012 189

Close up of the center --- just look at that quilting detail!

RhodeIsland2012 190

Such simple star blocks…but oh MY what that quilting does to transform this quilt!

RhodeIsland2012 191

I am so drawn to stars --- and the colors of this one really draw the eye. I love the folk art feel with the stars and hearts, leaves and feathers ---

RhodeIsland2012 193

Just one of the diamond areas….I think some of the top stitching was done with decorative machine stitching – but not sure….anyone know?

RhodeIsland2012 194

Look at how this butterfly is done! Get a close look at the border detail too ---

RhodeIsland2012 195

The daisy and the hearts remind me of all the doodling we’d do on our school notebooks when I was young….LOVE this…and the top stitching is great!

RhodeIsland2012 197

This piece was one of the more traditional quilts that caught my eye. I love the 9 patch on point sashing. What a great way to set off that beautiful applique!

RhodeIsland2012 198

One block up close, showing the quilting detail. Not too much, JUST RIGHT!

RhodeIsland2012 199

Stars and more stars! I love anything set “barn raising” SO this one I found really appealing!

RhodeIsland2012 200

I found it really hard to resist petting this one! Look at those feathers! I love that they wander every which way!

RhodeIsland2012 201

Closer up of the quilt center. You know I love Tri-Recs Stars!

RhodeIsland2012 202

Close up of dog tooth border…can you see the corved quilting in the brown outer border? It was gorgeous…I wish it photographed better. The fabric is kind of busy to really see it.

RhodeIsland2012 203

More Stars! A color wheel study in rainbows!

RhodeIsland2012 204

I find curved cross hatching to be SO graphic! LOVE IT!

RhodeIsland2012 205

Are you ready for this one? You might think it’s a big quilt, but think again – look at the size of the info tag!

RhodeIsland2012 206

There is my finger! ((And NO, I’m not touching the quilt!))

RhodeIsland2012 207

This is the center feathered star! Oh, I’m in love!

RhodeIsland2012 208

How tiny are those border stars? It’s all I can do NOT to squeal out loud ;c)

RhodeIsland2012 209

Beautiful traditional applique --- I love how the birds look like they are circling!

RhodeIsland2012 210

Gotta get closer and SEE the quilting, that’s what this show is about ---Do you see the undulating echo quilting? Lovely!

RhodeIsland2012 211

I love corners --- see how the quilter executed this one?

RhodeIsland2012 212

Gorgeous fill around this feather, and I love how the reverse scallop adds a new dimension to an otherwise plain wide white border!

RhodeIsland2012 214

MORE STARS! Feathered Ones!

I love how the lighter feathered stars echo the dark ones in the center…..what a LOT of piecing!

RhodeIsland2012 215

I love the chocolate brown with al these colors….YUMMY!

RhodeIsland2012 216

Just WONDERFUL! I’m all excited just looking at this again ---

RhodeIsland2012 217

This beauty looked like an exotic carpet ---or something you’d see on the ceiling of some royal palace ---WOW!

RhodeIsland2012 218

The applique is as incredible as the quilting….each one adds to the other --

RhodeIsland2012 219

Center Motif. Are you still breathing?!

RhodeIsland2012 220

Beautiful corner treatment! I could look at this one for hours --- it’s so detailed! Do you see the clusters of circles?

RhodeIsland2012 221

This was just sweet! Love the penny-rug style edging on this one…I love baskets, and with the different sized blocks, this was a real eye catcher!

RhodeIsland2012 222

Even with the busy checked gingham background, there is enough whimsical quilting to really tie this quilt together….It’s just a wonderful folky piece ---love the inner border there!

Would you believe that’s it? That’s all there is of the MQX pictures that I took! There were more quilts than this, I took pics of the ones that didn’t have crowds of people standing there --- I was on a limited time frame, so I didn’t have time to dilly dally –but I enjoyed every minute of being surrounded by such skill and artistry!

Today we are doing an Oklahoma Backroads workshop with the Helping Hands Quilters of Dover, Delaware! We’ve been waiting for this day for about 2.5 years --- it’s about time this date has finally arrived on the calendar!

Whatever you get up to today, have a terrific Sunday, Everyone!

21 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for posting all of those pictures. There is so much inspiration there. I love the applique quilt framed by the nine patches on point and that curved cross-hatching on the carpenters wheel is gorgeous! I have a similar quilt that I have been holding off quilting and may just have to try it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, i have really enjoyed your MQX posts, I now wonder if i should give up my attempts right now, I'll not live long enough to get close to the quality of work displayed, good job iam in it for my own pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:56 AM EDT

    Thanks for sharing and have a great time.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:02 AM EDT

    Thanks for the show, Bonnie, it was a pleasure to see all that wonderful artistry. That's what I want to be like when I grow up. lol
    Have a wonderful time in Dover.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the show, took my own pics but still love looking at yours and seeing the quilts thru your eyes.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting all of those pictures.Thanks for shering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Every year the quilts at quilt shows everywhere seem to get better and better. Thanks for sharing your pictures, especially the close ups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really don't want this show to end! These quilts are all just amazing! Love the one with all of the tiny pieces. What a lot of talent under one roof. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW thanks so much for sharing. Inspiration every where. These quilts are more works of art than fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took pictures of some of the same quilts! The quilting was amazing. Wish I ran into you there. That would have been a fun highlight. Thanks or sharing. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the spectacular tour of those quilts. The piecing alone is fabulous. That quilting makes mine look like I am all "thumbs"--but practice, practice and more---wait for it--practice, I guess. Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful works of art! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Some true museum quality high art quilts there. Your commentary brings it all to life. Thanks for sharing! Traveling Mercies. B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh!!! Words can't describe! Truely stunning maasterpieces all of them! Thanks for taking the time to share all these fabulous quilts. I would sure hate to be the judge! How could anyone pick a best of show? I think that second to the last quilt was on the cover of Quilter's Newsletter recently. Thanks again bonnie!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. The second quilt you were asking about is by Sarah Vedeler. She specializes in machine embroidery on top of her piecing. She has worked hand in hand with AccuQuilt to develop dies and a CD of machine embroidery for the die cuts. Also, at this time she is also doing the BOM for The Quilt Show featuring a very similar quilt which will be machine embroidered when pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually, the second quilt you asked about is MINE! Sarah's has feathers in the settings. Mine is trapunto butterflies, tribal-ish motif and thousands of crystals.
    I also made one of the samples of the BOM Judith talked about though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness, what beautiful quilts and quilting. really in love with the baskets with tossed in letters, and the buttoned triangles. squealing with delight!!!! thanks for bringing this into my world!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a wonderful quilt show! And that little one, where you had your fingers included, oh my!!!! That is a wonderful piece of work and just magical!!!
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, you made by day by having my quilt on your blog! I feel kind of famous! hahaha. Mine is the rainbow carpenter's star.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! And I love that the basket quilt is also an alphabet quilt, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous12:39 PM EDT

    Hi Ladies! LOVE the quilts! I had a question about the third quilt pictured: the Baltimore Album quilt with the nine-patch blocks dividing the appliqued blocks. Is that a pattern? If so, I would love to get a copy of it. Does someone where you are have a source? Thank you
    Tina
    just_tinahahn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)