>>>>

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Mississippi River Morning ---

Today is a busy travel day!

I’m being picked up at 9:30am to get to the airport --- I hope I have an easier time getting HOME than I did getting here ----but that’s small potatoes. It’s been a great time here, the memory of my horrendous time getting here is just that --- a memory.

Yesterday was the busy day – but I took time to take a walk down by the river in the early morning – there are bike trails that go all over.

This was the sight that awaited me as I found my way to the bike trails --- the morning mist hung low over the surface of the river, giving it an other-worldy quality ---I love watching the birds, hearing their cries and calls ---

DavenportIA2012 227

I love reflections in still water!

Further down the river I caught this view looking back at the bridge that crosses to the Iowa side of the MIsssissippi--

DavenportIA2012 232

There is one little black duck starting to make his way out there --- I watched him for quite a while – his feathers smooth and unruffled, just gliding on the top of the water, but I knew---all the while---that his feet were paddling like crazy beneath the calm surface to get him where he wanted to be.

Life is kind of like that sometimes --- we try to be all smooth and calm on the surface, but inside our hearts are fluttering, our fears are rising their taunting heads.

JUST KEEP PADDLING ON!

DavenportIA2012 230

The trees are heavy-laden with spring blooms….gentle breezes are carrying all the petals to the ground and scattering them like snow--- within a few days there won’t be blossoms left on this tree. My allergy-afflicted eyes will be happier----but my heart will be sad that the blossom time passed so quickly.

DavenportIA2012 233

Further down the road I made it to one of several paddle boats --- these do dinner cruises up and down the river. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

DavenportIA2012 106

Here’s the bigger one, from behind….look at the size of that massive paddle wheel! This always makes me think of that old musical “Show Boat”.

DavenportIA2012 107

A beautiful public grassy spot for picnicing along the river --- those purple trees are just YUMMY.

I made my way back to the hotel after my walk----grabbed a quick shower, got myself ready and head out to face this:

DavenportIA2012 235

What was it I said about keeping calm and unruffled on the outside, but paddling like mad underneath the surface? That’s exactly how I feel before getting up to speak in front of 160 people. I hope they had as good of a time as I did ----because this was so fun we did it twice! Once at 1pm, and again at 7!

DavenportIA2012 273

A special thank you to the quilter who gifted me with this lovely bouquet of lilacs, fresh from her yard! She read on my blog about my love of lilacs and brought them to me --- such a lovely gesture! I brought them back to my room with me and slept with their fragrance filling my dreams ----

And so --- I’m on my way back to North Carolina. Thank you Quad Cities for the warm and friendly welcome, great food, great company, and a very memorable time with the Mississippi Valley Quilters Guild!

((We are working on dates to come back in the future! YEAH!))

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great reminder to keep paddling.I have been sick, have deadlines for some things that can't possibly get done on time, and lack of funds from being sick!! I got to keep going forward though even though I want to just crawl into bed and throw the covers over my head!
    thanks for the pep talk and letting us know you still have those days of nerves as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Showboat"... My third of many musicals, and years later I won a competition with a rendition of "Only Make Believe", sung with my arch rival at the time... Long story, but you've stirred up a lot of memories this morning.

    Travel safely.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! I want to thank you for speaking at our little guild! :) I am a VERY new quilter and have been having such a great time learning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Michigan we call those beautifule purple blooming trees Red Buds. I have one planted in my back yard right outside of my sewing room window and some spring days I spend as much time looking out that window as I do sewing. They are gorgeous this year! Again, thanks for sharing. I get to travel to so many wonderful places with you and just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign us up to come again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry Johnson9:20 AM EDT

    Thanks for a wonderful evening last night.I brought five new "Bonnie" converts to Moline. We stopped for ice cream on the way home. Yummy! Safe travel home today. Congratulations on your awards, you earned them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't the USA a beautiful place!
    Thanks for these peeks at parts of our country
    that I haven't seen yet.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for being here. It is such an honor to meet you. I wish I could have taken a class or three. lol Funds are very low, but to see you in person at the meeting was so awwwwsome. You are such an insperation, with your boundless energy. Please keep us inmind for another visit. (I am the purple lady)

    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy Boyer9:48 AM EDT

    Bonnie, I really enjoyed your classes and lectures! Awesome doesn't even begin to describe how wonder the experience of meeting you has been...WOW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on winning the several Best awards at SewCalGal for 2012. They are all very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can smell those lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My DH and I took a cruise on the River in very early June, on the "Riverboat Twilight" which leaves adjacent from where American Pickers (TV show) home is in LeClair. I would recommend that kind of cruise to anyone, especially if they are interested in the history of the Mississippi River. The River was instrumental in early U.S. History and there you are, Bonnie - on the edge of history! Beautiful Photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE LILACS!!! Can't wait til ours bloom, hope between now and then we don't get a freeze, but in Colorado you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can hardly believe that you have all that 'paddling' going on inside. You look so at ease. You are funny and informative and your warmth and love of all things quilty shine through.
    Wishing you a great trip home. And maybe a bit of time to rest up before you are off again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wrote a poem about that Riverwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:17 PM EDT

    we used to have the showboat boat at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, but it's gone away.....

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)