>>>>

Friday, April 06, 2012

Like a Kid in a Candy Store!

After the John Deere Pavilion, and before dinner, which was before our evening lecture --- Wendy told me of a place I HAD to see --- after she witnessed me getting all excited over the floor tiles at the Italian place the other night --

That Italian place was made to LOOK old, but this place was better! You see, Wendy used to work at the bank next door – and on her lunch break, she’d head over to Lagomarcino’s Confectionary, sit herself down at one of the red vinyl upholstered counter stools and order a grilled cheese and a fountain coke from the lunch counter.

Doesn’t this sound like a scene from 1955?

Well, it isn’t!

Lagomarcino’s opened its doors in 1908 and they are still going strong today!

I was captivated by the striped awning and the vintage looking neon sign ---but the real fun started when we opened the front door and stepped inside!

DavenportIA2012 259

Of course, immediately upon entering my eyes were on the FLOOR! OOOOOhhh--Blue hexie snow flakes! Pretty plain and simple, but the fact that this is the ORIGINAL floor means it has had 104 years of busy foot traffic and that blue is still as vibrant as ever!

DavenportIA2012 260

Just too cute! But I think I need my magic markers to do something in all of that white background area to spruce it up a bit, don’t you? :cD

DavenportIA2012 261

Towards the back is where you’ll find Wendy’s lunch spot ---it’s a typical soda fountain/lunch counter ---ice cream, shakes, sundaes ---and typical lunch fare! All the while you are surrounded by displays of wonderful confections – the smell of chocolate is heavy in the air.

DavenportIA2012 262

I love all the old mahogany dining booths! Look at the cabinetry --- and the hanging lights? Isn’t it just cute? I think I’d sit right down and order me a patty melt with fries, and a chocolate malt!

DavenportIA2012 263

While I wandered around, the place got busier and busier --- ladies were holding baskets full of the Easter goodies that have become long time family traditions ---

DavenportIA2012 264

Everyone else is after the chocolate bunnies, and candy filled children’s eggs – and I’ve got my eyes on the tin ceiling!

DavenportIA2012 266

Oh, but look at this --- hand made chocolate Easter eggs filled with other chocolates and goodies inside! They are completely whole – until the little ones ((Or the big ones!)) break into them to discover the surprise contents.

DavenportIA2012 270

This customer had a long list of what she needed, and was pointing out which of the filled eggs she wanted!

DavenportIA2012 271

Hand made chocolate bunnies just waiting to go home with someone…..should we eat the ears first? Or start with the tails?

DavenportIA2012 272

More yummies and other hand made confections of perfection ---

So what did I take home with me?

DavenportIA2012 269

No bunnies! I needed something that wouldn't break or melt for my travels home. One small bag of black jelly beans came home with me – my fave! And quail eggs…which are soft caramel dipped in chocolate, and then in a candy coating ---MMMMMM!

DavenportIA2012 268

This sign JUST about sums it up --- “Chocolate --- think INSIDE the box!”

This was just the neatest place – if you get a chance to go through Moline, IL – make sure to give yourself enough time to make a stop, and enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. What a candy heaven!

    I just want to tell you:
    GRATULATIONS**** !!!!
    You win the Golden Quilter Award 2012 for Best Designer and Best Author.
    Over 4000 voters thought
    THIS HAS TO GO TO BONNIE!!!
    I am happy for you :o)))
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, black jelly beans are my fave too! My family can't stand them (well, hubby likes them OK, but he leaves them all for MEEEE!). Those quail eggs look/sound divine! I've never tried those before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place! Love to visit place like that. I would love to take home that big chocolate egg with all the goodies inside....mmmmm!

    Congratulations on all of your awards from the other day - you certainly deserve each one of them and have worked very hard for them. :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to have some of those "quail eggs"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this , I love the floors , ceiling ,the lunch spot with the bar stools and the booths ! I have never been to Ill. before but I have been in a store similar in Pa., thank you for bringing back a wonderful memory. The lunch and candy sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there last spring and like you say it is wonderful. I liked the ceiling and the lights and woodwork, but I can't say I really noticed the floor. But it is awesome. Comgratulations on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comic matches your comment about eating chocolate bunnies :-)
    (Looks like I can't just copy and paste the picture so I apologize for having to use a link.)
    http://smilesunlimited.net/photo5/bunny.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old store like that, they are so great and I'm glad that so many of them are still kept in use over the country - I would have noticed that floor right off too!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. THere are many businesses down there that have to tin ceilings and They are my favorite! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm like you--facinated by everything! thanks for the close-up of the snowflake patern on the floor. I grabbed my hexies and traced out the pattern. (including all the information about the store!)
    then i rummaged thru my yardage and found the exact color blue fabric (with little black vines running thru it, and no info on the salvedge!)with which to make the hexies. thanks so much for showing us this delightful store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ceiling has some nice designs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I live in SE Iowa and we go to the Quad cities, but I learn about this cool place from you...amazing. Thanks, Bonnie! (I was so bummed that all your classes were full.) Have enjoyed being there through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful store! Reminds me of an older store/restaurant about 30 min from here... they have antiques rather than chocolates and is a fun place to explore! I may have to go visit again soon!

    Black jelly beans are my favorite too!
    I haven't heard of quail eggs... will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what a fun place! Just soaking up the atmosphere via your post--lovin' it! And black jelly beans? Move over sister, those are MINE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ears first...always the ears first! :)
    And I'm sorry to hear you like black jelly beans...I knew you had to have a flaw somewhere, but could never find it. I think I just did! LOL
    Have a great day and a Happy Easter! :)
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great place to visit--this reminds me of a similar place in my Dad's hometown that we kids always clamored to visit so we could sit on the stools and order a shake or sundae.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:55 AM EDT

    How neat is that. I can smell the chocolate from here in Maine.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that tin ceiling and am thinking what a great white on white quilt pattern that would be...Moline is just a few hours away and on the way to the Des Moines quilt show this fall...may have to stop either going or coming.
    Making notes!
    Anna in IL

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes it is a great place. chocolates are great. food is good too
    I also love their carmel apples in the fall. don't miss them if you can get there.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)