>>>>

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hidden Spools, Discovered Friends!

A great group of ladies gathered together yesterday morning at the Portsmouth Library for a Hidden Spools workshop, turning our varied collection of scraps into fun blocks!

The small sample quilt I brought has 80 block quarters, or 20 full blocks, and several ladies were well on the way to finishing their whole quilt centers by the time we were done with class ---I love the sound of all those machines humming at break-neck speed!

We had gals who were purposing jelly rolls that have hung around for a long time just waiting for the right quilt. We had collections of batiks being turned into glorious watercolor beauty. 30’s prints ---and off course….DEEEP stash! Yes, Deeeeep stash has become the buzz phrase of the week....and I'm envisioning it being sung to the tune of the Bee Gees----"How deep is your love STASH!?"

RhodeIsland2012 227

And for those early Kenmore lovers ---- Here it is again! Oh, I have so many memories of these Kenmores! This is Sarafina’s workshop machine, and it just HUMMS!

Sarafina is quite the pip at 84 years young! She also wins the award for ‘Millenium Annihilation!” Look what she was sewing up in her blocks:

RhodeIsland2012 236

Now you see it!

RhodeIsland2012 243

Now you “ALMOST” don’t! But it’s used up! :c)

RhodeIsland2012 256

Nancy gets the award for the wearing of the most thread and dog ears…LOL!!

RhodeIsland2012 267

It’s official! Here I am as one of the “gang” with my genuine obligatory souvenir Tshirt! I’ve been practicing dropping my R’s from the ends of words and adding them to the ends of words ending in vowels…. – ((Moah Lobstah, Pahk the Cahh, This girl is from NOATH CAROLINER, ya know? :c)) Oh this is fun!

Here’s a glimpse at what we got up to in yesterday’s workshop:

Today we do it all over again ---- with Star Struck! Time is winding down here in Rhode Island --- Tomorrow I’ll be headed home on an afternoon flight back to Greensboro, NC!

26 comments:

  1. I have a "secret stash" of millenium fabrics, Bonnie. I think I will have to see if I can work them into my quilt workshop with you at VCQ Celebration at the end of the month....or maybe you need another "gift"......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to meet Serafina. She's a regular at our retreat in March. I love the blocks with the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love all the color combinations. But I must focus on getting some quilting done...focus, focus, focus...LOL:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:15 AM EDT

    Oh, Sarafina, the Kenmore is exactly like mine!!!! I love my machine, works like a charm and has been so durable! Enjoy your trip Bonnie, love the sharing of the sewing!
    Faye in Maine (Yes, the Mainah!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this!! I would love to do a course with you. I have been a huge fan of your quilts for such a long time.
    Do you ever come to the UK?? Please blog early if you ever do, I would travel anywhere on the island for a class.
    Finally found the monkeys!!
    Cheers
    Lush x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:13 AM EDT

    Looks like a FUN TIME was had by all! Now ask us, why we love our scrap stash LOL. Thanks for these inspiration photos.

    Next tiime you come to the Knoxville TN area, I WILL be in that class. Last time, family plans were already made way in advance. BUT I can bring my machine and have fun next time around.

    Smilies and hugs from East TN
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, she's going to be in KY in the fall. Check her schedule. It's not that far to go. I'm hoping to get to go from Nashville.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Sorry trying to logout

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. What fun to see the slideshow! Thanks for posting them so we can share the excitement. In the meantime, I do hope that you will take a NAP! I worry about you running yourself ragged. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I love about your class slideshows is that it gives me a chance to look at what happens when different colors, tones, patterns and intensities are put together. It's always interesting to me that when looking at a sequence of different blocks an all batik pops up...there is an immediate sense of calm. Thanks for all you do. That travel isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Kenmore that looks like that! Picked it up at a garage sale for $5 because it didn't have a foot pedal/plug unit. That was easily fixed at my local machine shop, who found one that fit perfectly. So for about $25, my daughter has a nice sturdy machine to learn on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first machine was the predecessor to that Kenmore. (Pre-free-arm.) It made the Best.Buttonholes.Ever. (Turn the dial to buttonhole. Stitch down one leg. Turn dial. Bartack. Turn dial. Stitch up the other leg. Turn dial. Bartack.) Right size, every time.

    I found that machine at a thrift shop a few years ago but I did not buy it. I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Kenmore was my first machine and I traded it in for the next model that has a freearm and cams. It's the same color as the one shown here and I still have it. Love seeing the different color patterns in these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh - what fun - I have to stop playing on the computer and get to my fabric after seeing all these examples!!! Thanks bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic variations on your block pattern! I will never hear that Bee Gee's song the same again :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Kenmore was the very first BIG item my husband purchased for me when we were first married almost 30 years ago. I still have it and use it. It works great. Starting to feel old when my first machine looks "vintage" and is called "early", know what I mean? :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely to see all the different quilts of the same pattern.
    The Kenmore looks the same as my first electric machine which was a Frister Rossman in Britain. Were they the same company?
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a Kenmore just like that! My grandmother gave it to me. My mom had the more advanced version with the stitch cams. I remember being 5 years old and sitting at Sears with my mom and learning to sew on the machine in their free classes. It was my newest machine until I bought my Babylock Sofia last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all the blocks! I have Kenmore bought in 1963 with cams! My only machine until I got a New Home in 1993! Now have many machines, actually too many lol!

    Thanks for all you do Bonnie! I'm a member of your old guild in SC-PHQ

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you share. It gives me courage to try different patrerns and technigues that i wouldnt otherwise try. I hope to get to take s class some day with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing all the different blocks. Loved the picture with all the thread and dog ears. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)