>>>>

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Evening Edition–Sew Time & Free Kindle Book!

DH is busy using his riding lawn mower and the wagon behind it, to bring the shelving units we bought from the back of the van, around the house, down the hill to the back of the house, and in the basement door…man those things are HEAVY – there was no way we wanted to bring them THROUGH the house and down the stairs.

Thanks for the affirmation that these shelves are the ones to get. I hate shelves that sag in the middle, and so far, that’s all that we’ve had….saggy, baggy, cheap plastic or pressed wood – NO MORE! I can already see more of these shelves lining the wall of the “under the stairs storage closet” down here in the basement as well…that closet is just a mess of stacked boxes, mostly filled with recycled shirts – and it’s a disaster. But let’s get this ONE closet taken care of first shall we?

So, while he was playing lawn-mower-wagon-man…and until he needed me to help unload the wagon….I sat down to sew one of today’s Sow-A-Long blocks from Randy’s Blog!

Yes, Mean Judy Green is still out on the desk top and wanting to play ----So I’ll leave her out for a while ---now that I have this adjustable table, sewing on her is such a pleasure!

There are two more blocks in this week’s installment, and I also have THREE bonus blocks to catch up on, so I think I’ll be busy through the rest of the week on these. What I like about them is that they are a quick project, each on their own, easy to fit into my day, and hardly use any fabric at all!

This one is Dutchman’s Puzzle, and I used 2” strips of cheddar solid and 2” strips of recycled fabric along with my Easy Angle Ruler ((For the half square triangles)) and the Companion Angle Ruler ((for the large goose quarter square triangles)) to make the flying geese units. My favorite part is the fact that the strips are already cut, and I can use the same width of strip for BOTH triangles in the block, no cutting weird sizes, and no trimming anything down!

So – one block down, 5 to go to catch me up? I better get busy!

accountantswife 017

Some asked to see the tools that I bought at MQX! I love these! They aren’t just pretty, but one of a kind and functional. These were hand made by Cynthia Ellis of Woodbyc.com. The following is from her website:

New Hampshire artisan, Cynthia Ellis - a juried member of the League of NH Craftsmen - has been turning colorful wood into useful, beautiful works of craft for over 30 years, exhibiting her creativity at fine art and craft shows across the country, with unique pieces made to the highest quality standards. Working freehand at the lathe, as the spirit moves, each piece is truly one-of-a-kind.

For years I’ve just used half of a clothspin when a wooden presser was needed, but you know what? I was ready for something just special for me as a momento of this trip. And I love the fact that I was helping to support another independent working woman in the quilting industry by buying such a beautiful piece of functional art. Business deduction? You bet! LOL! ((Boy DH is going to roll his EYES by the time I am done THIS YEAR!))

As for today’s freebie…

This one was discovered by my friend Cathy B --- as in “Have you seen this one yet, Bonnie!?” And No, I hadn’t --- I haven’t had time to go search through Amazon to find things that might be what I’d like to read --

Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke is free today in the Amazon Kindle Store.

Book Description:

Review

"This dramatic and heart-wrenching interpretation by two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke (William Henry Is a Fine Name; I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires) will enthrall fans of character-driven CF and readers who enjoy Francine Rivers."--Library Journal

Taking a break from work to watch the Titanic set sail on its maiden voyage, Michael Dunnagan meets passenger Owen Allen and decides to stow away in hopes of convincing Owen to let him join his uncle’s business in America. But the so-called unsinkable ship strikes an iceberg, and a dying

Owen extracts a promise from Michael that he will care for Owen’s relatives in America and his sister Annie, still in England. Annie can’t bear the thought that Michael lived when her brother was lost, but the two develop a friendship through the letters they exchange.

When World War I breaks out and Annie’s letters stop, Michael drops everything to find the woman he has come to love. VERDICT

No matter how many times the Titanic’s sinking has been depicted in film and in print, the 1912 maritime tragedy continues to fascinate us. This dramatic and heart-wrenching interpretation by two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke (William Henry Is a Fine Name; I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires) will enthrall fans of character-driven CF and readers who enjoy Francine Rivers. (Library Journal )

One afternoon, young Michael Dunnagan steals away from his job to see the Titanic off.

Through a sudden turn of events, he meets Owen Allen, a young man off to America to help his uncle in a gardening business. After a series of deceptions, Michael, who is not supposed to be on the ship, boards the Titanic, hoping to follow Owen to America and join him in this new business venture.

Owen has left behind his sister, Annie, promising her that he will call for her once he is settled in America. When the Titanic sinks, Owen dies and asks Michael to take care of his sister.

Annie and Michael begin a correspondence that at first is friendly, but soon turns romantic. When WWI intervenes, it appears that the two may have lost each other because of various circumstances on both sides of the Atlantic, but love and grace prevail in the end.

Two-time Christy Award winner Gohlke tells a gripping tale of sacrifice, loss, love, and hope against the setting of familiar historical events; the loss of the Titanic marks its centennial in 2012. (Publishers Weekly )

Review

Stunning. Simply one of the best— if not most powerful—books I have ever read. (Julie Lessman, author of A Heart Revealed )

It sounds really good! You know, the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic was just this past weekend. 100 years. The thought of that ship going down still chills me to the bone…..this sounds like a really good add-on story that takes place after the fact!

As always, check before purchasing that it is still free. I have no way to know if/when prices will change, and they often go to “prime members only” by the next day – right now it’s free for all.

Have a great evening --- as for me….someone is assembling shelves already and I best go help!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 PM EDT

    I love your new little tools. So pretty and functional. I hope you put up pictures of the new shelves all filled. Do you think you can fill them? lol
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:41 PM EDT

    You're going to LOVE the adjustable, metal shelving that doesn't sage. We have about a dozen of 'em; two hold my quilting supplies (from fabric to thread and batting) and one the heavy portable vintage sewing machines.
    ~Jillian in North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Bonnie, is your green machine a 185J or 185K or???
    Thanks :)
    Deb
    noll7@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will have to post pictures of the full shelves. I just re-did my stash storage using the new deeper Billy shelves from IKEA. Since the sewing room is in what was the the dining room for all to see, the glass doors keep it somewhat under control. Love the new tools ~ Just enough magenta to match your featherweight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:14 AM EDT

      Kristy
      Would that I could LIVE at IKEA! Cloest one is about 3.5 hours drive from our place. So many great storage items. WOWOW...ok, time to go to Atlanta! Smiles JulieinTN

      Delete
  5. Hi Bonnie-
    I love reading your notes- Im a learner quilter but thanks to you and other quilters I have slowly completed more smaller quilts for new babies in our families- and they love them! I feel we are just around the corner rather than the 1000s of km that we do have!So keep going please- thanks from Australia, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, here is another Titanic book - The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor. Only $.99 on Amazon. It was a really good book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:10 AM EDT

    I hear you about shelves. With me, I want wheels on everything in my quilt room, even the shelves. Bought those Gorilla HSleves at Sam's, and love them.


    MAkes things easy to rearrange from winter to summer! No joke. Sun and light come in so differently - I like to keepthe light where I can best use it.

    PLEASE post photos of your new shelves. And just how many shirts do you have? GLORY... I am a nut on plaid. Saving my Husband's plaids, since that is all he will wear--there are bunches lolol.

    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  8. janice d12:15 AM EDT

    Those are beautiful tools you show there. I just looked at her site and saw a couple I might just have to buy myself for Mother's Day or whatever else I can think of :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to get my rear in gear! The last block I remember making was the paper pieced basket... I wonder how many blocks total Randy has made so far...? I'm lovin your blocks with the shirts and cheddar fabric. They're really looking great Bonnie! I'm using shirts too, but with a grey/ash background.

    Love from Indiana! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)