>>>>

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Walk Through Balboa Park!

We had most of yesterday as “free” time ---and Sandi had suggested that we go over to Balboa park –knowing that I love museums and great architecture, gardens, flowers and best of all --- people watching!

It was a glorious January morning…one of those where you find yourself peeling off your sweater when you are in the sun, but as soon as you hit shade --- on it goes again. Just perfect!

I’d never been to Balboa park before so this was a treat for me. from the time we parked the car and got out and started exploring…I was completely and totally enthralled with this place!

I love these buildings with so much display of artwork on the outside! They are art in themselves --- and you have to take time to look carefully amidst the texture of stucco and texture, to see what is al in there.it’s like a full fruit bowl, with so much to see!

socal_jan_2012 060

Take a look at this building!  It’s now a theater I think…but those pillars are wound around with grape vines --- there are faces in amidst al the froo-froo plaster work….This looks like it could have stepped right out of Italy or Spain, doesn’t it?

Did you catch the green/white checkerboard pattern at the top of the domes? Cool!

socal_jan_2012 064

Get a load at the size of them grapes!  This was a “sweater off” moment..we were in the sun!

socal_jan_2012 062

More façade art work..this one was full of statues and things going on.  I could look at this stuff forever and always find something new.  The expressions on the faces of the statues were so interesting to speculate abot too! And of course….PALM TREES!! I love palm trees --- I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area, living in San Jose from the time I was 7 until I left at 19.  Palm trees are one of the things I really miss!  ((And a nice warm January, that goes without saying!))

socal_jan_2012 066

Botanical gardens building.  I love reflecting pools!  Do you see the building mirrored in the water?  There was a mommy-yoga class going on, and after we left…all the mommies and kids were looking in the water to try to spot the turtle.  Precious!

socal_jan_2012 071

Love the feel of the botanical building!  There are orchids and other flowers in wild abundance in here.  There was also a school photography class on field trip --- so it was fun watching them snapping pictures of various plants and “still life”.  You could tell the ones who were really into it, and then there were those who were typical  “could care less, but it seemed like an easy class” kids!

socal_jan_2012 068

OH, I love orchids!!  So beautiful! And so many varieties!  Look at these colors!

socal_jan_2012 069

Just beautiful!

socal_jan_2012 070

Doesn’t color just make your heart sing?  I know it does mine.  And these were all we caught INSIDE --- there was more blooming everywhere OUTSIDE!!

socal_jan_2012 084

Everywhere you turn there are wonderful buildings and more outdoor gardens to walk through.  It really is worth planning a lot of time to spend here.  One of the art museums was free entry, and we marveled at the beautiful paintings from the 1500’s on forward. Incredible!

There are more pics to post, but this is my long day.  Today I have a Scrappy Trips workshop in El Cajon, and then we are off to Chula Vista for my guild meeting with them tonight.  Last night was my guild meeting in El Cajon, so it’s a bit of running back and forth.

I’ll post more pics as I can!

9 comments:

  1. I just can't help myself on weighing in on this subject since San Diego is the "home sweet home"
    of my birth and childhood. My grandfather had two green houses and a lath house full of orchids. It was his hobby when he retired to sunny California from Sewickley, PA. Orchids always bring back memories of him working in the heated humidity of his special place. He even grafted an orchid plant (a butterfly orchid) and named it after me. It is registered with the American Orchid Society. Boy are you taking me down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so very pretty.....having never been there, I appreciate all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your trips with us. I doubt I will ever go to all the places you do and it's so wonderful to be able to see these places through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in San Diego on vacation the first week in December and have a lot of the same pictures you have. The botanical garden building was full of poinsettas then. We also went to La Jolle and saw the seals. Loved it and the weather. Flew into LA and drove down the Pacfic Coast Highway. It was absolutely awesome. I am like you, I just feel blessed with the scenery and never tire of the differeces wherever I go. I am from cold winter Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures, too. We are planning a trip to San Diego, maybe in April and I can hardly wait. My DH is retired from the Navy and did a lot of time in San Diego. He has lots of things he wants to show me. Thanks for the picture tour, I know we will be visiting some of the same places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I was tempted to fly out to your workshop when you said there was openings in Mission Viego. I grew up in So. Cal. Now with these p[ictures, oh, wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Bonnie! You were 4 blocks from me. My office is just a hop skip and jump from Balboa Park. Yes, I am blessed with this beauty every single day. I will be at Chula Vista Quilt Guild tonight. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Bonnie. I grew up in Oceanside, CA. When I was a young girl we used to go on field trips to the museum and the zoo. The pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:03 AM EST

    I lived in Chula Vista for YEARS and loved, loved, loved everything about San Diego ... Balboa Park, the Presidio, Coronado, the waterfront off downtown San Diego ... so many memories. BEST Mexican food I've ever eaten in National City (can't remember the name of the restaurant). Now living in Pittsburgh and waiting for the snow they're predicting for tonight (ugh!). Your pictures made me feel "warm" for awhile. Enjoy your trip and wish I could be at your meeting tonight! Flatlander (Linda) Canends@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)