>>>>

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Little Bit of Rosie’s!

On our run-around afternoon, Sandi said “There is somewhere you need to go, it’s not very far – and your trip won’t be complete without it!”

I’m game for ANYTHING, doesn’t matter what it is.  I’m happy to be along for the ride, taking in the sights –This is only my second trip to this area, and most of it is new to me! ((Let’s face it, as I get older, the memory goes, and pretty much stuff I’ve seen before is STILL new to me!))

She pulled into the parking lot of a strip mall…..and there it was!  Rosie’s Calico Cupboard!

I have a “previous” connection to Rosie ---I was a guest on one of her radio shows a couple years ago. We talked and talked like wild fire!  I was so excited to finally get to meet her in person.  Unfortunately she wasn’t in this day --- they had a recent death in the family and she was busy with family things.  But I left her a verbal note with the staff, and I hope get get to catch up to her another time.

This is a WONDERFUL shop!  Those who get to visit regularly, or live the area and have easy access --- do NOT take this for granted! Oh my heavens….the class room space alone is more than fabulous!

socal_jan_2012 129

Of course, my Quilter’s Radar was powered to HIGH, and I found the Sale Room right off!  Uhoh --- guess who is going to have to ship some boxes home…LOL!  ((PPPsssstt –if I put the fabric in the empty book boxes and fed-ex it home – will anyone be the wiser?!))  I found some great pieces for backing. I’ve gone through a LOT of backing this year, and just wanted some larger pieces to work with. Got them.  And Then some!

socal_jan_2012 125

A real highlight was this neat lady who came up and introduced herself to me while I was talking to the gal at the counter ----she said “Excuse me, are you Bonnie Hunter ---The Leaders & Enders gal?”  I said yes ----and she said “It’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m Jan Krentz!”  OMGoodness!! I was face to face with a real Quilt Rock Star!  How fun to talk to her and cross paths in a wonderful place like Rosie’s!

socal_jan_2012 124

It was just a wonderful afternoon…if you are ever in the area, don’t pass this one up.  There is something --- LOTS OF SOMETHING – for everyone here! I think Sandi wins the prize for showing the most restraint – she left carrying ONE piece of orange ---I’m not saying how many yards I left with!

socal_jan_2012 123

Yeah --- don’t think I didn’t notice those sale tables right out front right off the bat too --- I picked some of THOSE for backings as well! LOL!

Yesterday was a BUSY BUSY day. We had a Scrappy Trips workshop in El Cajon, then drove to Chula Vista for a lecture there --- and then back to San Diego after that.  Today we are planning a power walk on the beach --- and then we are off to Mission Viejo for my guild meeting with the Beach Cities Quilt Guild tonight – I’ll be there a couple days before I move on again. My time in California is moving so fast!
When I get a chance, I have workshop pics to upload so stay tuned for that ---

Enjoy your Thursday, Everyone!


21 comments:

  1. isn't jan a peach! i had the pleasure of driving her back to the airport after maine quilts and we chatted and chatted over pizza...a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:34 PM EST

    What a fun day! I like the idea of using the book boxes to ship your fabric home.

    Don't "forget" that you shipped fabric, and see the boxes, and trying to figure out where the "books" came from. ;)

    The Quilt Shop looks divine!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you are not a real Quilt Rock Star yourself??? I don't know a quilter anywhere who doesn't know and love you Bonnie! You're right up there with the best of them!

    I think I may have to make a trip to California just to visit Rosie's. Looks like quilter's heaven!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! There must have been some great deals! Looks like a very fun place.
    Just curious--I know her as Sandra on her blog (which BTW, has given me some great inspiration). Sometimes you write her name as Sandi and sometimes as Sandy. Does she have a preference? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:20 PM EST

    YOU are our quilting rock star my dear. I was telling Dana this morning that I'm glad you came to live in our lives. Still snowing and I just came in from snow blowing the driveway. Heading back to the mole hole to sew more.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on business once there and found Rosie's in the phone book. Not wanting to make the trip unless it was "worth it", I called and asked their hours and how many bolts they had. She said, "oh we are large." So I took the plunge, drove there and oh my goodness. 3 hours later I came out having had to let them pack and ship my purchases. I think this is probably the largest fabric store in the West. It was a wonderful store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, "our" Rosie's is well known and certainly the biggest in this corner of the country. I can't just wander in there, I need to be looking for specifics or I get overwhelmed. Glad we had a beautful winter day for you to enjoy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bonnie...That's so funny. When Hubby and I were in San Diego we visited Rosies. It was then and there that I bought your first book. I read it in the hotel room and hubby was getting annoyed with me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I LOVE a good quilt shop, and it sounds like you're having a great time in CA! I am in CA but about 8 hours north, :( .. otherwise I might go broke in Rosie's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:23 PM EST

    To me you are the Quilt Rock Star. Never heard of Jan Krentz so looked at her website. Not my style at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you made it to Rosie's store. Sandra takes me there each time I visit her. Isn't it just wondeful? Never leave San Diego without a suitcase full of fabric. Now if only I could finish up some of my projects it would be even greater. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet meet Rosie and have done a ton of stuff with Her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks just the same as it did when I was there. And, you're right, the sale prices are great. I'm still using fabric from Rosie's. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'd take a trip to Rosie over a trip to Disneyland. It's not that far from Yuma where my Daughter lives...Maybe I could fly into San Diego...hmmmm. I would suggest using the fabrics for wrapping the books, they need cushioning for the tossing around they get from the USPS and UPS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been reading your San Diego posts and wondering if you'd get to Rosie's -- so glad you did. It's a great shop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you have time you might also try Quilt in a Day in Carlsbad. You would find Eleanor Burns a real hoot. You might find that you have a lot in common. I've been to Rosie's when I lived in San Diego, but got my start in the wonderful world of quilting with Eleanor and her staff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yea, who doesn't love Rosie's Calico Cupboard! I live 2.5 hours away, but visit often. My children live there but I have been known to visit Rosie's and NOT my children. : ) Rosie's is my all time favorite shop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh I wanna go to rosie's... but it's too far... hmmm, must think up a plan...great post, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie.....I'm going to go back and find the post (less than a month old) in which you mentioned that your fabric was taking over and you were not allowed to purchase any more! I knew then that just wasn't going to happen. Hehe...it's OK, I would have done the exact same thing! You are making me very jealous, It is 12 degrees here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like Rosie's is the place to be in CA. Love a great sale! So glad you have time for awesome sidetrips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous12:28 PM EST

    Wow! The stars were all aligned

    Two of my favorite quilters at my favorite quilt shop!

    I live in Seattle, but work often in San Diego, so I was able to see both Jan and Bonnie in the last year or so, at the Canyon Quilters guild. Jan is an amazing teacher.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)