Yes, I know that I’m out floating about on a huge ship with fruity frozen umbrella drinks, listening to the music of Caribbean steel drum bands, etc--- but I’m thinking of you folks back home!
This recipe is REALLY yummy --- I think it’s the cranberries and the lemon juice & peel that do it, so don’t skimp out on those!
The Holidays are quickly approaching and I definitely want my hands around a warm mug of this when I get home!
Mulled Apple Cider
Here is an easy recipe that will keep your tummy warm and leave your house smelling wonderful.
- 1/2 gallon (roughly 2 liters) 100% apple juice or cider
- 3-5 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- a handful of fresh or frozen cranberries (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- strips of lemon peel (yellow part only, optional)
- Pour the apple juice into a large pot on the stovetop (or in a small crockpot, set on Low or High, depending on when you want to drink your cider).
- Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cranberries when the juice starts boiling, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before it’s finished simmering, add the lemon juice and strips of lemon peel.
When ready to drink, pour the hot cider into mugs, straining out the spices, cranberries, and lemon peel.