>>>>

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mama & The Quilt Retreat ---

My mama has been bitten, and bitten HARD by the quilt bug!

She’s only been quilting a few years now, but she has EVEN joined a guild. She has EVEN gone on Quilt Retreats--- YES, WITHOUT ME!

It’s my biggest dream to go on a retreat with HER some day…and just be one of the girls sewing away. Not to teach anything, not to do a trunk show, but to take a couple projects and just sew and giggle with my mama and the girls up in the mountains of Idaho.

And I get pangs of jealousy ((And deep pride)) when I get HER updates on facebook telling us “Oh it was so fun! We sewed our brains out! Eat toooooo much and giggled a lot!” I can just imagine HER having this much fun, and after raising 8 kids, it’s about time she got some time to herself to enjoy this!

So what’s mama been up to? That picture at the top is a pillow she cross stitched in memory of her father, my grandfather who passed away a year ago. He LOVED ducks. So mom cross stitched the duck, added the phrase “To a duck Lovin’ Dad” along with his birth year and death year. 1916-2010. All the plaid squares around the border, and the buttons came from Grandpa’s shirts. I used some of the same shirts in the quilts in Scraps & Shirttails II. There IS memory in fabric. It’s tactile, tangible, and holds so much connection.

And that’s not all!

2011mystery 167

I’m taking pics of pics here, but I think you can see she’s gone hex crazy! I only demo'd to her on that visit to Minnesota in August, and she was off and running!

She covered a small tote with them…((you can’t see from the pic, but even the black background is all hexies!)) And then the crazy woman went and covered her SEWING MACHINE TOTE with more hexies! Isn’t that so cute?

And mom has ALWAYS been so good at sending short little notes in the mail. They mean so much! Sometimes it just has a little cartoon clipping from the paper in it, or a funny picture that made her think of me, sometimes just a thought…and always always, a stick of gum wrapped up in a dollar bill.

I’m chewing away on that stick of gum right now….feeling you right here close to me, mama! I’m so proud to be your daughter!

Oodles of love,

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE that sewing machine case covered in hexies! How did she do that? Sew cute! My mother doesn't even thread a needle. Not crafty at all. That's ok. I'm going to make a quilt with my daddy's ties and shirts when I'm ready. Not ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story. It brought a tear to my eye and many memories of quilting with my own Mother. You should take time for yourself to go on a retreat with her. I have a friend who hosts retreats in Idaho, so if you would like more info let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of smiles here... how wonderful your mom has taken up quilting and taken to it like a duck to water! So happy for her having all that fun... hope you two girls get to go on a retreat together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story - makes me smile. Mom has been busy! You HAVE to go on a retreat together soon - it will make for even more wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, my mom was not an avid quilter but I did catch the bug from her! She was my best friend and I love to hear stories of other women who have such wonderful relationships with their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, Bonnie! How great to have your Mom share your love. It would be awesome for the two of you to share a retreat or sew-in. I can hear all the chatter now! Have fun in N.M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DON'T DELAY. go on the next retreat with your mom. they are gone too soon. i didn't start quilting until my mom couldn't anymore. how i WISH i could have enjoyed quilting with her. we did get some shopping trips in as i collected fabric for my first quilts, and had lots of fun on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure you get that chance for a retreat with your mom! I did get chance to quilt and sew with my mom but never on a retreat and she has been gone for 9 years! I do go to quilt retreats twice a year with my sister (and various other friends) which I won't miss for anything! There are two other sets of sisters that come sometimes and both have been able to bring their mothers along a couple of times. What fun they have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with StitchnRN...go spend as much time as you can with your mother! Bonnie you are my age and my mom has been gone for 17 years...she was only 52...YIKES! fast approaching that age.. They do a retreat in the spring....I know it is my SIL's shop and I was sitting here thinking the same thing as you I wished I had gone...my MIL and SIL and niece were all there! GO, don't delay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring your mom and come to Inspiration Point in Clitherall, MN this week....I am taking my sister-in-law from Wed. - Sunday and on Friday night my mother-in-law and 16 year old daughter are joining us! Just hanging out at camp (it is a summer Bible camp and retreat center)......they give you uninterrupted sewing time....well...except for when they interrupt for very yummy meals! :) You could come in disguise and get lots done!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun that your Mama and you can share this now after all these years. You join your Mama in the mountains of Idaho and I'll grab my daughter who lives up there somewhere, too, and meet you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I wish My Momma were still alive so I could show her all I've learned. Thanks for sharing even if it made me Cry. Safe Flying today. The gum helps when your ears pop...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know you and your Mom are always welcome at Hickory Knob...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell your Mom she needs to share how she did the tote! I love it! Tell your Mom she is a hit with your "quilty" pal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would be so wonderful to have a mother to share quilting with and go to quilt retreats with. I lost my mom over 20 years ago and she was the one who taught me to sew and quilt. Everytime I see all the beautiful fabrics and quilt notions, I wish she were here to see them. And if she saw my longarm? Oh my, would she be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Add me to the list who want's to know how she stuck the hexies on the totes...I can't see how she would stitch through the tote. How lucky you are to have a mom who understands your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please please please ask your Mom to do a guest post and share with us how she attached the hexies to her bags. We all want to know! And we'd love to adopt your Mom vicariously, if she wouldn't mind. I know we'd all love her. I hope she will share pics of her projects, too. She's got design talent I admire. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab hexie tote!!! Like daughter , like Mother??
    Make time to share a retreat with her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie-- Just put the date in your calendar and go retreat with your Mom. You have no guarantees on time -- Take advantage of it now, please..
    I miss my mom so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is the sweetest post ever! Just warms my heart. I think your Mama has definitely earned some time to do as she pleases after raising 8 children! Thank you so much for sharing her beautiful projects! My Daddy sent notes like that too and I love that she sends you a stick of gum wrapped in a dollar bill!That is priceless! Sounds like you have been abundantly blessed!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)