>>>>

Friday, October 21, 2011

As Seen Around Town ---

When I returned from Maine I found one of those little slips in my mail box…..

The kind that mean you have to get in the car and drive several miles away to the main post office because you weren’t HOME to sign for a package when they tried to deliver.

It’s kind of a pain, it doesn’t happen often, but it was such a pretty day…..and since I was out getting shots in my rear for the re-occurring bronchitis, I figured I’d just loop around and do it all.

In this little area of town, on a little street corner that has seen better days, sits the remnant of what gas stations USED to be like! And I think this is the cutest thing ever!

Not only that, it’s the LAST “Shell” shaped station left of its kind.

Maine_Oct2011 278

Eight were originally built in the late 1930s by the Quality Oil Company, a Winston-based marketer of Shell Oil. The station on Sprague Street survived through the 1970s and '80s as a lawn mower repair place. It slid into disrepair towards the end of the 20th century. A state historic society, Preservation North Carolina, stepped in and restored the faded highway icon in the late 1990s. Today it's used by the organization as a regional office and info center about the station and other preservation projects.

And that’s all I have for you today, a bit of Winston Salem history….and my detour to the post office that had me pulling over to take these pics :c)

I wish I could say that I’m feeling 100% better. I’m not. I’m on the mend, but man, is this bronchitis ever a doozy. Yesterday I slept 4 hours in the afternoon. I think I needed it. I haven’t left the house since Tuesday morning to go to the doc. I wanted this gone by tomorrow, but it’s not going to be……

I’ve occupied myself with quilting the mystery quilt – I’m finishing that up this morning and binding should be sewn on today ready to start the hand work tonight.

I’ve got to pack for New Mexico!

And I can’t find my little MP3player that has the books on MP3 that I want to listen to. WHERE IS IT?!

18 comments:

  1. Hoping you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you're feeling better very soon, Bonnie! And that you find your MP3 player! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:30 AM EDT

    Very interesting Bonnie. Sorry you're not over the bronchitis but hang in there. As for your MP3 player??? I think it over there under that red fabric! Love ya, Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get better right quick! I always find that thing I WAS looking for when I start to look for something else I've misplaced....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:45 AM EDT

    When did you have it last? is it in your bag from the last trip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're coming to *my* state? How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love buildings like this! What fun.
    I wish I could magically give you another week to rest before needing to be on the road again. My experience with bronchitis (and I've had a lot) is that time and rest are the best meds. Good luck to you in finding your player and in having the energy you need to prep for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I love your blog and am a beginning quilter...know very little about how to put one together. It seems that you live close to me in Winston-Salem. Small world!
    Hope you feel better soon!
    marilyn.miller@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imagine when that Shell Station was active.....and the guys dressed in crisp white uniforms with little black bow ties....ready to check the oil and wash your windows! I think I seen too many movies.....cuz I know I've never seen that first hand!

    So glad the preservation society took it over, and it's still looking good!

    I've had bronchitis, and it sucks the life out of you! Hope you get back to 'you' soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NM quilter10:54 AM EDT

    Bonnie, once you get to New Mexico and they feed you some green chile (yes, that's how it's spelled here) you'll feel great! That stuff will cure what ails 'ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jean Hensley11:28 AM EDT

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so adorable - I never knew they had shell-shaped Shell stations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute. Will have to show my hubby who has worked for Shell Canada over 25 years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:34 PM EDT

    Love the pic of the station. Have you looked for your player under the cheddar fabric? :>)
    Hoping you feel better quickly, traveling while not feeling well stinks. Best to you.
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read... MP3 with books to listen at. May I ask how you copy your books to your MP3? Whenever I do it, the chapters are all mixed up and the kids confused...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow we had Shell Petrol Stations here too, but NONE looked like that!
    It's really neat.
    I hope you are feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a cool shell station, and I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't want to sound like your mother but has it occurred to you that this bronchitis is Nature's way of telling you that you're doing too much and you need a break? Every time I get something like this, it's after I've been crazy busy and that seems to be your permanent state. I'm being selfish here - on behalf of all your loyal and devoted fans, we want you fit and well and enjoying yourself!
    Ok, lecture over - hope you feel properly well again soon, and that the MP3 player turns up soon!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)