>>>>

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Good Morning, Maple Grove, MN!!

Those of you who guessed I was going to Idaho to visit my mom only got it half right! I’m in MInnesota!

How did this trip come about? Well, I got a message from my Aunt on facebook when she saw that I was going to be in Storm Lake, Iowa which is “only” a 4 hour drive away, and we wiggled and weezled and tried to figure out a way to make it work to get together since my mom was flying in on the Saturday and I was flying home on Sunday.

I even thought that I could make a detour on my tickets, and come up here and see them for a few days, but besides it being extremely astronomically expensive, the time didn’t work. My flight wouldn’t get in until Midnight on Sunday, and the whole family was leaving Tuesday morning at 5am to go to Puerto Rico to visit my other Aunt Gail and Uncle Tony! It just wasn’t feasible.

But I had a thought, and called my Aunt Joy back and said…..”When do you guys get back from Puerto Rico?”

Turns out they were getting back on Tuesday, August 2 ((YESTERDAY!)) at 11:00pm!

I said “What if I come meet you at the airport, could I stay a couple days?” And the plan was put in motion on how/when/where ---- and we were keeping it a surprise from my mom!! And the excitement built!

My flight got into Minneapolis about 8:20pm last night and I was picked up by this lovely lady who was a student in my classes in Storm Lake! This is Amy!

mn2011 009

We had a couple hours to kill before the Puerto Rico crew arrived, and we ended up going to TGIF to talk quilts, laugh, conspire, and spend some time. Afterwards, she dropped me back off at the airport and I waited…..and waited….and…..

mn2011 010

Do you see it?! Top of the list!?? THEY HAD LANDED!!! I hung around at the Baggage Claim, my heart was in my throat, the tears were already starting to blur my vision.

And I saw them. Mom was talking to Joy, just walking toward the carousel --- I stepped out from behind a pillar and started to walk toward them ---- and when the recognition hit my mothers face, I burst into tears—Of course I didn’t get pictures of this, but my AUNT was busy with her camera, and if I can get them from her I’ll post them.

It was about 1am by the time we got to bed, and that is why I didn’t post anything last evening. There wasn’t time!

But this morning, I was up early for a long walk/jog --- ((More on that later too!)) and when I got back, mom was up, showered and beautiful! We snapped this pic out on the deck before I got to go take MY shower ---

mn2011 024

I’ll be here until Friday, two whole days with my Mom and my Auntie Joy! And then the two of them will fly off to Idaho, and I’ll fly back to North Carolina ----

Isn’t this fun?!

37 comments:

  1. Welcome to my neck of the woods! Very glad that you brought lower humidity with you. It has been nasty-hot and muggy here for all of July - but today is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've got me tearing up too Bonnie...how Awesome!!! After so many years, I still miss my Mom daily. Make the most of the time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post brought tears to my eyes, especially the photo. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful experiences with us. You are both beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cool surprise!! I love it! Nothin' beats family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you and your mom have a special relationship, cherish that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a beautiful picture.......whew.....I was afraid the flight was cancelled!
    I agree with Sue make the most of the time together......I miss my Mom so much.

    Have a great visit and safe travels home and to Alaska!

    Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping your MOM was involved in the Mystery trip! So sweet to surprise her. My baby girl is coming home the end of the month with her two cute baby boys...I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great surprise to give your Mom. I'm so happy it all worked out and how nice of Amy. You two look so very happy! Enjoy the few days together. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mom is Georgous! She definitely resembles YOU! give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sniffle*

    What a wonderful surprise for your lovely mother... and what fun that the three of you can visit for a couple of days! I am so glad things worked out so this could happen.... have lots o' fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! I can see the joy on both of your faces!! Enjoy this special break with your mom!
    hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing refuels you like time with Mom!

    Enjoy your visit and take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The look of happiness. Nothing beats it. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful surprise for your mother.
    It brought tears to my eyes.
    My! your family sure travels arouind!
    XOXOXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful gift for both you and Mom! You both look so happy in the picture--and you look soooo much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great, she must have been thrilled. Enjoy your time together

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad that you are getting to enjoy some time with your mom. She didn't even mind a sweaty hug :-) I can't believe how much you look alike! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are the best of times, you made it and it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2:15 PM EDT

    Wow ... how cool is that! I am so, so, so happy for you (both). You look SO much like your mom (only a taller version ... LOL). I had tears in my eyes reading this post. Glad you could make it happen! Flatlander (Linda)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:23 PM EDT

    I'm so glad that the Twin Cities have put on their best weather for your visit! I'm in the northeast Twin Cities, while you are in the northwest. Did you know it's Quilt Minnesota Shop Hop time? Enjoy your visit!
    moresewstuff@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. how wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful. Sometimes you have to just make it work! I'm the only family member who has lived far away for the last 30 years, so I've gotten good at making it work when the situation arises. Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, so this totally made me cry! I can't imagine the emotions you were feeling and the utter surprise for your mother....I am the same age you are...hahaha! Isn't this a great time of life! Anyway my mom has been gone for 17 years this month....Well just make the most of it for the next couple of days...you are a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous3:49 PM EDT

    You look so much like your mom, Bonnie. Beautiful! Spending time with your mother makes your heart sing. I wish mine was still here but I know I will see her in Heaven some day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh....you look just like your mom! Sweet! Have a wonderful time together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoy spending time with your Mom...so nice this worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous4:32 PM EDT

    Hello from New Hope! That is right next to Maple Grove, more or less. I love the picture of you and your mom- so much happiness and love. Enjoy your visit.
    Diane dianemrose@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. So happy you took some time out of your schedule to just be with family. It will nourish the soul and energize you. Enjoy.Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  29. You both look so happy! What a great surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cool to be able to surprise your Mom like that. Makes me miss my Mom! have a wonderful time. I'll have to wait until the end of September to see mine, but I'm counting the days...

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look just like your beautiful mama! Enjoy your special time together, and thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are the spitting image of our MOM! My mama always told me that I looked like her, and I would tell her NOT. She would then reply, I used to be pretty when I was young! Enjoy your MOM and tell her that she is pretty and that you love her while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now I understand why you were so excited. Plane ticket to Minnesota....$XXX.xx, spending time with your Mom....priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is fabulous fun! Memories to last a life time. You are one well seasoned traveller!

    ReplyDelete
  35. HOORAY for you! I'm glad you get to see your Mom, even if it's only for a couple of days. I sure can tell you two are Mother and Daughter. Have fun and pack the most into the time you have :o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Enjoy your time with your Mom. Love the picture of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pretty mom. You look just like her. Mom time is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)