>>>>

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It’s a CIRCUS around here!

Yesterday the guys showed up to finally sheet rock in our sun room! COVER up that eye sore mess of insulation and old broken wall board from the remodel and removal of the heinous sky lights that always leaked!

I have never been so happy to see someone pull in my driveway in my life. Okay, that’s an overstatement, but you get the idea. We’d been dealing with this BAD ROOM since the day we moved in.

In walks our contractor…and a couple of guys to do the drywall….and hammers were flying, and dust was swirling and really, it didn’t take long at all and things looked so much better already!

And before I knew it…they were ALL gone….and I thought that was “IT” for the day, that they’d be back the next day --- but here he comes again, with a different crew this time, a couple short little guys who were here to mud and tape and do all that sort of thing.

And I really got a huge smile on my face when I popped upstairs to see how things were going…and spied this:

cottoncandy 046

Do you see this little guy on STILTS?!? AMAZING! I wanted to try them…lol! It reminded me of the time when I was little and we made “stilts” out of old coffee cans and strapped them to our feet….fun. And I think he could run a marathon in these things! I’d probably fall over in 10 seconds flat.

His buddy, up there on the scaffolding, could MOVE the scaffolding simply by shimmying side to side to side to get it to roll with his own momentum. Another acquired skill I am sure, I would have tipped the whole thing over.

So --- needless to say --- yesterday was fairly hectic around here, workers coming in and out, and me trying to get the pattern directions written for the Cruise that is happening in August….COMING SOON! I’m so happy to say that it is FINISHED and will be mailed out to my cruisers on August 1st. Get ready girls!

I finished the binding, hanging sleeve and label on the quilt for the German magazine last night also….

zuckerwatteback1

Here’s the back, hanging on my stand outside! I admit, my photography isn’t great, and if they don’t like the photo, I’m going to just have to pack the quilt up and send it off to Heidelberg or wherever—but I’m hoping it doesn’t have to leave me. Can you see the gently scalloped edge?

I even made the hanging sleeve out of the trimmed off left over backing! We use it ALL, baby!

I have had SO many questions asking me how to keep the whole thing centered, do I worry about block parts being chopped off or uneven in the quilting/trimming process. Does it look like I keep it centered or worry about chopping off bits? ;c) NO!! And that's the fun thing about being RANDOM. Truly random does not mean "EQUIDISTANT" You can't spread things out evenly and call it random. I just make it big enough to do the job, and let the edges fall where they may.

It was a surprise when I had applied the binding, and then went to trim 1/4" past the binding seam to start to turn the binding to the back to hand stitch down ---just WHERE those curves had cut into! And I like it that way. To me it's more interesting this way, than it would have been to make a backing, frame it with a huge wide border simply so I could "attempt" to center it on the long arm ((which is nearly impossible anyway, those of you who long arm know that!)) and have everything perfectly symmetrical.

Did you ever do those tie-dye shirts or little picture canvases at the fair? They go into that spinner thing and you squeeze the dye or the paint and you don't know what it is going to turn out like, but you can't wait to see it? That's what piecing this back was like. I had no control over where the edges were going to be...I just went with it. It's fun! Try it! Give up control just a little bit, and see what wonderful things can happen.

cottoncandy 039

Here’s a close up view! I was told that the Magazine should be released at the end of September – and they are sending me a few extra copies, so yes, we will be doing a giveaway when I get them in my hot little hands, so stay tuned! I know it’s a couple months away yet, but I know you can hang on that long!

Today more of the same will be going on around here. The workers should be back to sand and prep the room for painting. So I’ve gotta stick around. I’ve got today and tomorrow to prepare for my trip to Storm Lake Iowa on Thursday! This week is already flying by way too fast. I did my laundry at Randy’s before leaving to come home….and my suitcase is still sitting in my room packed. I’ll repack a few things for Iowa, but at this point I’m still living out of a suitcase!

My dream for today?? Kit up some of those cheddar bow ties! ((I linked the post up in the pattern tabs above at the top of the blog if you are looking for it)) I’ve seen scads of people just knocking them out like crazy and I haven’t had time to even cut into my cheddar yet! So….with any luck…I’ll get to press and cut and fondle and maybe piece some today. :c) Think I can use those as my leader/enders while I TRY to get some momentum going on my Floribunda? We’ll see!

26 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy! I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy watching sheet rock being put up and mudded. I don't know how those guys to it but it's too cool...

    Safe travels this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh send those guys here to KY!!! Hubby and I have been working with sheetrock this morning! And yep...hubby has some of those stilts too! He is 6'2" but the ceiling in the bedroom are 12ft! :(

    Love that backing! I can't wait until we actually move in our new house and I can dig out all of my orphan blocks and piece some backings.

    Have a wonderful day
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the back and the hanging sleeve. I took pictures of a 'cheddar' quilt this weekend because of you. It'll be posted later this week. Aren't pieced backs fun?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That glorious back is pretty enough to be a front (or top, whatever). I think I will always have to make extra blocks to throw in a bin for making interesting backs from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We built our house and to me the drywall stage was so exciting. It meant things were finally coming together and the end was in sight. Just looking at your pictures brought back some of that thrill.
    Love the quilt back and gently scalloped edges--what a nice effect!
    I wouldn't want that baby to leave home, either!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know once the dust settles you will so enjoy having your house back together! You will find that fine sheetrook dust EVERYWHERE for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow won't it be beautiful when its done! I hope you hired someone to do the painting...it is a big room!

    You are making great progress on your projects Bonnie, I hope the cruise is a huge success and you have a ball, you and Pat and all that great quilting energy.....I envy those lucky ladies getting to go with you!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bonnie,
    can you tell me the name of the german quilting magazine?
    Elke from Germany
    Thank you, have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are doing the thing called "mudding". After that dries they will be sanding like crazy. your house will fill up with very fine white dust no matter how much they cover the opening.
    I mailed you a "just because" present this morning. I hope it gets there before you leave. If not it will not spoil...I will simply be on pins and needles until you do open it.
    XOXOXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elke, it is for patchwork gilde Deutschland http://www.patchworkgilde.de/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the back?! And it's got scallops?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been making those little bow ties like crazy inbetween all of the goodies I have been sewing. I cut up my muslin prints fro background and scraps and built a little tower of block pieces in a small green bucket I keep next to my machine. I have made over thirty in the last 2 days! They go together quick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie-

    If that is the back I can't wait to see the front! It is so pretty and just fun! I love the scalloped binding. Is that hard to do? Never been brave enough to try! Thanks for showing us how to use up things.

    Kristy
    LnKwilkinson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you think THOSE guys on stilts are amazing, you should meet my French friend who can beat his grandchildren at stilt races - he's only 80 after all.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seal up your machine and fabric before the sanding starts!
    (experience speaking here)
    Its great how that mess of blocks made into the back looks wonderful quilted.
    Love the scallops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You probably about kissed them due to the excitement of them coming and getting something finished.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You make me tired! Wish I was going to see you when your in Iowa!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Bonnie,
    Was it hard to sew the curved binding over all the seams from the blocks?

    BTW--I'm so happy there are people who are willing to sheetrock for money because having done it a few times myself I would never do it again--oh and someone commented about the dust--they're right, seal up everything, cover our machines with plastic because it just gets into every crack and cranny and it's very fine.

    Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know a guy who dresses up as uncle sam and walks the whole july 4th parade in his drywall stilts. of course the pants cover the stilts in the parade.

    would you consider showing us how to trim a quilt with scallops and put on a binding like that? or remember to put it in your next book?

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous quilt! I love how the scallops look with the random pieces. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous1:56 PM EDT

    Ah, Storm Lake, Iowa! I grew up 12 miles from Storm Lake and went there often, but I've lived in Oregon for the last 52 years. I have very fond memories of my youth living in Iowa. Wish I was there now so I could take your class and get to know you "in person".

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy cow, that's the BACK of your quilt? Gorgeous!I can't wait to see the front! Love the scallop binding. I've not tried that yet.
    Vickie in Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  24. That quilt looks awesome!! What a great back. Just told some more friends about your site today.
    That room looks soooo much bigger. No more leaky skylight.
    Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, that back was fabulous enough and then you go even further and add an orphan block hanging sleeve AND a scallop edge?!?! My hats off to you, lady -- Love it,love it, LOVE IT! (Oh wait, I haven't even seen the front yet!! LOL!)

    And now I REALLY hope they show both sides of the quilt in the magazine. Looking forward to to the giveaway too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. just hanging out in quiltville, came across this post. I remember the back, but can you remind me of this front! What tool do you use for your scallops. I just completed a random "front" in pinks, and maybe what it needs is a scalloped border? Did you cut it off before or after it was quilted? So much to learn, so little time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)