>>>>

Friday, June 24, 2011

Hello, Fredericksburg!


OH, I love my new wheels! Yes, I do!! This baby can CRUISE!! Now..if I could only figure out all the ins and outs of how to work this or that….the cruise control is in a different place, and doesn’t run off buttons inside the steering wheel…it’s down below and behind, and it’s a stick thing like blinkers or headlights…and I can’t tell you how many times my fingers reached for their old “familiar” spot on the steering wheel to fix the cruise, only to end up turning up the stereo, or starting the voice recognition control instead!

It took til TONIGHT to realize that if I left the headlights on, and locked the car, that it would automatically turn them off after so many seconds if the car was locked. YES!

And I know. This car is as big as a whale…..she’s white with dark windows…and I think she’s earned the nick name SHAMU!!

I arrived in Fredericksburg about 1:30pm and it was too early to check into the hotel yet, so I wound my way through town to the historic district! Fredericksburg has quite the civil war history, and I’d love to spend some time at the battle field and the visitors center – and I might double back on my way home from Woodbridge on Tuesday to do just that.

Today? I was headed for quaint streets, old buildings!

VA_June2011 008

And I know it’s hard to SEE the buildings for the trees…that is one thing that Fredericksburg is not short on either…TREES! The trees sure made great shade on the sidewalks though, and I really enjoyed walking around…

VA_June2011 009

Aren’t these buildings fun? If you come, be sure to leave lots of time to browse…there are more antique shops than I can count on two hands!

VA_June2011 057

I’d love to take one of these carriage rides too….or maybe a trolly tour to get in on more of the history from someone “in the know.” I love those kinds of tours. But as for today…I didn’t have much time..maybe a couple hours….

VA_June2011 011

And I hadn’t had lunch yet, so I made a quick stop into the Old Town Grill! I sat at the counter, and ordered a rueben with a side of sweet potato fries! Mmmmmm! Delish! A girl needs some sustenance if she is going to go antique mall hopping, doesn’t she?

VA_June2011 017

Blues, greens and yellows! Isn’t this 4 patch yummy? I have really been noticing a lot of yellow quilts this spring/summer, and they sure catch my eye….This one could be a great leader/ender project!

VA_June2011 050

The picture of this little scrap basket was taken too close to a window…and the background looks washed out, but it was also yellow…it just made those scraps sparkle!

VA_June2011 039

This one had me COMPLETELY giddy! It’s a “hired man’s” cot quilt…long and narrow, and stuffed with thick batting for warmth, it’s tied…look at those fun 9 patches!! THey are TINY! This is the front side…but it doesn’t stop here….look at the back!

VA_June2011 038

It really IS a two sided quilt! I am so tempted to go back and get this one…it’s pushing the budget, but just look at it! Love the 9 patches with the pinwheels as corner stones!

I had a great time browsing…click to view the slide show! Some of the quilts have more than one pic….some were wonky, some were just wonderful….some, ordinary every day patchworks that warm my heart!

Tonight’s lecture was great…..and there is a funny story to share, but I’ll share it NEXT post. It’s 10:35pm, and I’m needing to finish this up and get to bed….workshop starts at 9am!

VA_June2011 058

Fredericksburg, I love your quaint tree lined streets, your friendly people, your history, and pride! Thank you for such a warm and memorable welcome!

14 comments:

  1. I knew you'd love that van! What a quaint town. Oh, I'd enjoy that place. And great old quilts. But I want the folding ladder thingy the basket quilt is on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Janet! Was that a tobacco dryer rack? The quilts were great but I could really use the rack....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cot quilt is gorgeous. Are you going to rescue it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm delicious eye candy for "breakfast"...what a way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't believe all of the amazing quilts you find everywhere you go. I must be going to the wrong places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shamu! Perfect name for your new van! Did you hear me laughing out loud? Your tales of trying to find familiar function buttons on a new vehicle brought back memories of the first time I drove my Toyota van and it started to rain. I prayed, "oh please God, don't let it rain. I don't know how to turn on the windshield wipers!"

    You sure find some lovely scrap quilts when you travel! Your pictures are inspiration for new scrap quilts, and yes, more Leader-Ender possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I have been to Fredericksburg a couple of times. I just love all the old buildings. Thank you for the great Quilt Show. Did you buy any of them. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just drove through Fredericksburg last Saturday on my way to Berkley Springs WV to pick up mom. I usually by-pass old town, but have missed my turn a few times and meandered through in my vehicle. I thought about checking your schedule to see if you were doing a presentation or just a workshop, but couldn't justify the hour + drive. I"ll see you in October at Pax River Quilters Guild in So. MD.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilts, and the town seems so interesting. I love the different basket variations, and the aqua/pink combination especially drew my eye.
    I have some antique quilts, but decided I'd rather try to replicate them so I can feel comfortable actually using them. Of course, it's hard to replicate all that gorgeous hand quilting!
    Thank you, again, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you posting a variety of quilts made with similar blocks--great pinwheels and 4 patches this time.
    LOVE that hired man's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived in Fredericksburg for several years - and love to go back and visit - the antique shops are always so much fun. Lancasters's Barber Shop is owned by a really good friend, who also bought my house when we moved. Those tobacco drying racks are perfect for quilt holders. Glad you had some time to brouse around my old stomping grounds. Judy C in NC

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the name Shamu for your new van! Is it easy to park? That is my fear with bigger vehicles! I'm so glad that you are enjoying your van, and can laugh at yourself trying to figure everything out! You'll get there, and as much time as you spend in your vehicle, you'll get there soon! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can not believe you were in Fredricksburg, I am only 20 minutes from there....I am so sad I didn't know you were there....but was out of town but it would have been nice to know. Sounds like you had a fun time. I just love that town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the TOUR of Fredericksburg. Even though I live in VA, I had not seen these sights!

    HAPPY SEWING!
    sao in Midlothian, VA

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)