>>>>

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Tale of the Traveling Quilt....


Just a preview on the hand quilting project!

An update on the one that is traveling with me....and I wanted to share this with you because I've had to switch some gears on it.

First off, I'm quilting this with red thread because I happen to love red thread! I think the colors I use most in my hand quilting are black and red!

Second off....I struggled....all the way around the first round of fans on the quilt center...because the fabrics are so busy scrappy, I had a hard time seeing my stitches and where I was echoing the design!

But..I persevered. I did manage to go all the way around the outside of the center (I'm going to be doing something else in the borders..not sure what yet)and then I flip-flopped! I am now quilting from the BACK SIDE of the quilt. I can see my stitches on the back side..My placement is much more even because I can see where I am going! So...tada. I've done this before, and I'm doing it again, and it might be something you want to try for yourself.

I also know this works really well if you have a backing fabric that has a neat design that you can outline with stitches...Say you have a backing fabric with large flowers and you outline them by quilting from the back, you get that neat effect of the flowers on the front, outlined in your stitches! So this is another thing I want to try.

And I am also reminded of a pre-marked whole cloth quilt I bought at Mary Jo's a few years back...I wanted to use that as the quilt BACKING and quilt it from the back so that the design would appear on the front, but I haven't found the quilt I want to do that with yet, and there is that whole "CENTERING" thing that I hate to do in case I get it off somewhat, you know? But the idea is still there.

SO..I'll continue to quilt from the back on this, working my fans around and around toward the inside of the quilt center in a spiral, and they will end up where they end up. And THEN..I'll turn it back over and probably quilt my borders from the front so I can see what I'm doing easier there...

Where there is a will, there is a way!

8 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I'll have to remember that even when quilting by machine but only if I get the bobbin tension absolutely perfect. I have always thought about a pieced back, not like how you do the 10" squares but one that has more of a theme that goes with the front of the quilt. I've never tried it because I've thought about getting it centered and thought it might be too much bother. One day, I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that clever. I never would have thought to do that. Now I just have to remember that the next time I can't see what I'm doing on the front. How do you keep coming up with such smart ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie,
    Fantastic quilting work...I've always wanted to try hand quilting..I'm just not sure where to start...I've almost finished putting another quilt together..
    Can you tell me if you would quilt over an applique design or quilt around it?
    Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea!!! Learn something new every day here on the "interwebs" :)

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it........there is nothing like hand work and flying. It just lets you relax and go all Zen and not stress about the rest of the world....I'm gonna get another hand project ready to go.

    I'm really surprised you are getting through security with those scissors though!

    Safe travels and Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I probably would not have thought of it, but it really is working on your quilt. You are such an inspiration. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried my first machine free motion quilting by quilting from the back. I followed the floral design on the back, and it gave life to what was really a boring front! The front was a simple Lone Star design, and I was not thrilled with it, but I liked it much better after it got the fancy quilting. I never could have quilted all of those flowers without a guideline, and because you are looking at the front, you can't even tell where I missed the line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of quilting with red thread. I've never thought of that before. Can't wait to try it on an upcoming project.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)