>>>>

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fabric Fun!


At my Texas Braid class with the gals in Indiana, I absolutely fell in love with the wide variety of fabrics the ladies had brought! Many with stories of where the fabrics came from, be it inherited from their mother in law, cut from their own old dress they had saved from the 1960s (That story was such a hoot as we all got a piece of this goldie-hawn-esq circa Laugh In frock!)and other places where fabrics had their origins.

Fabric is so fun because it has MEMORY to it. I love working through my scraps because of all the memories they bring to mind as I pull this piece that was in my son's baby quilt when he was born, my other son's high school graduation quilt, all those kinds of things. Can't you just pick up a fabric and remember where/when it was used?

Kathy sent me a lovely envelope full of such fabrics...Just look at these! I love the funky greens with orange flowers, and who wouldn't like the pink vintage cowboy novelty fabric? CUTE!

Thanks Kathy for sharing your vintage treasures with me! I can't wait to see where they will end up in my quilts!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM EDT

    Bonnie, so true! And great that you all enjoyed those fabrics that you surely would not find in stores today. I just wrote about memory in fabrics on my blog yesterday. The topic is so important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you can work these into quilts Bonnie, without skipping a beat! I'd agonize, but you just throw them in and make them look so at home and add fun to your projects! I love the way your quilts just evolve naturally and without so many rules. You've been a great inspiration to me! thank you.You probably don't remember me, but I had you sign a book for me and I live on Cumberland Island, GA. I had invited you to visit when you get a chance one day. I've started my first blog now! and a group of friends are planning our first quilting retreat! COME ONE DOWN!!! www.cumberlandislandquiltchick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    At the trunk show Thursday night you began by telling us your thoughts on what to say to people who ask "you who is this quilt for and how many have you made". You grabbed your book and I thought you were sorta reading it from it... and tonight I wanted to read that to my husband because his response to a new quilt is always.. "and we need another quilt because..." but it is not in your Leaders and Enders book which I bought. Do you have that written down somewhere else? Thanks! Polly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the nicest things about working on a scrap quilt is remembering the fabrics as you work with them ... where you bought them or which quilt they were a part of. Then of course, you have the joy of seeing all those pieces working together to make something beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)