>>>>

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Shopping Day!



I spent yesterday running to Joann's....I was out of king sized hobbs 80/20 battings, and I didn't want to put together a whole wholesale order (which would be 4 cases or rolls) and Joann's had them 1/2 off...and I didn't have to pay the shipping. So that was good.

I fell off the wagon a bit on my "no fabric buying" mantra. They had 60% the clearance stuff. I found a really nice plaid there, it was 60% off $1.00 a yard. *LOL* how can I pass up a quilt back or something for 40 cents a yard?

And I had a 40% off coupon. There was a black 1800's repro print that I used that on. Took the last 3 yards off the bolt. Black prints, nice black prints that work well with the style I like, are hard to find. (Can you tell I'm rationalizing??)

Sewing baskets were on sale too...I got this darling looking pot-bellied oriental one, blue/gold silk looking brocade type fabric, with a tassle :c) It has a notions tray that fits inside and lifts out to leave a good sized place for storing more stuff. I admit it. I'm a container junky and that goes for anything that resembles (or is) a sewing basket!

Then I headed to the Goodwill, because it was in the same plaza. I've banned myself from there from time to time too, it's probably been 6 months or more since I've gone thirft shop hunting. I hit the jackpot today. 3 great plaid men's shirts 1/2 off....GREAT colors, and the feel of the fabric is wonderful, not as bulky as the homespun plaids we feel in the store off the bolt. I found a pair of pants, a couple skirts, 2 pairs of cute shoes, a hand bag (monogrammed just for me with a B on it!), a jumper dress, and a casserole dish with a lid to it. Oops, make that 2 plaid shirts, Jeff just claimed one for his own!


I think I better ban myself from there again! But I really had a good time, and it was fun to be out toodling around. This morning it started raining, so it looks like it is going to be a good day to stay in and stitch. We rented part of the first season of 24 because DH wants to start it from the beginning, so I guess I'll be working more on "shoo flies" while we catch up on that show. I tell ya, it might be better just to buy it season by season at Sam's Club. We could get the first 4 episodes on DVD last night at blockbuster, but then episodes 5-9 were gone, and I think the one after that, and then you could get 14 to 18 or something. The wonders of DVD rental!

Bonnie

10 comments:

  1. I have season one and you are welcome to borrow it! My DH has this DVD collection to rival my fabric! He rationalizes it by saying we may go overseas...ya-da, ya-da. I liked the last season best. The daughter irritated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie I'm so jealous, fabric shopping and thrift stores! The two favorite things I miss about shopping in the States!!! I am queen in my family for finding the bargains and just great stuff when I go to them... I actually plan lots of thrift store shopping for my trips home! Other people buy their Hilfigers and Dolce and Gabanna at high faluting shops...me I go to half off days at the thrift store and score them for a few dollars, sad but true! But what great bargains and treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE GOODWILL. I donate as much as I buy!

    I find great wool that I someday will use when I learn how to hook a wool rug, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who has sworn off shopping you certainly did well LOL! Love the fabric finds, and the goodwill trip netted you a goldmine!

    My recommendation is that you buy the DVD's you want. There are great places online to get one. Our favorite is www.deepdiscoutdvd.com. Never a shipping charge and great prices when they have a 20-30% off sale. Then when you are finished watching them you can sell them online for almost as much or more than you paid for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For someone who has sworn off shopping you certainly did well LOL! Love the fabric finds, and the goodwill trip netted you a goldmine!

    My recommendation is that you buy the DVD's you want. There are great places online to get one. Our favorite is www.deepdiscoutdvd.com. Never a shipping charge and great prices when they have a 20-30% off sale. Then when you are finished watching them you can sell them online for almost as much or more than you paid for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a really nice shopping day. I love the black print.

    Inga

    ReplyDelete
  7. My DH also is an addict when it comes to 24. He wanted all 4 seasons for Christmas and he got it. We have watched all of them and if you wish to borrow them you are welcome to have your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the goodies you found, and at such great prices..*VBS* I'm lucky enough to have some bigger yardages of the old Marcus Bros. prints, that I hoard mostly...LOL.

    Great finds at GW also..the perfect purse, and more.

    Thanks for the update on Gwen..very nice cudos to your URL also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:07 AM EST

    Your new sewing basket is gorgeous! I never find anything good at op-shops! I'm too fat to find anything nice to wear - all the good stuff is in sizes 12-14 :-( Oh well, it's still fun snooping around them. I did find a pile of Quilters Newsletter mags at one for 50c each and they had some lovely patterns in them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great finds! And that is a great black repro fabric find!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)